Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone else 3 year old still take a binky?

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2008 at 11:07 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 454 Total Views
Help I can not get Brooklyn off the binky!!!!! I dont  know what to do I just dont have the energy to deal with the traumatic fit everytime we have taken it away or she has lost it it drives me crazy everytime I turn around I have to hunt for it because she has spit it out somewhere and lost it, anyway is anyone else dealing with this or have you dealt with it if you child has already given theirs up how did you do it? my son was four months old when he didnt want his anymore.
by on Jan. 1, 2008 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by Member on Jan. 2, 2008 at 1:20 PM
I have a similar problem with a blankie. Try to tell her it is only for nap and night. Then you can wean from there. On Jon and Kate plus 8, they went to night and nap and then at 3, they gave them to their baby cousin. Good luck! Emily
by on Jan. 2, 2008 at 6:47 PM
No Binky here, but I've heard of people taking their kids to Build A Bear and putting the Binky inside the bear. They won't be able to put it in their mouth, but will be able to sleep with the bear and it always be in the bear. Good Luck! Ellen
by on Jan. 3, 2008 at 9:28 AM
The build a bear sounds like a great idea we dont have one around here but we have something similar called make a friend I may try that I need to know she is ready because I dont want to have to open it up and get the binky out after we have done that.
by Member on Jan. 3, 2008 at 11:59 AM
We took the binky away from my daughter when she was 6 months old, so I haven't had this issue, but there are a few children in my daughter's day care who still have them. 1 child sent his binky to Santa, so it was completely out of the house. (No temptation by mom and dad to give it back to him!!) You really need to be strong on this. No matter how much your child begs, screams, etc, you can't give in. Good Luck!
by Group Admin on Jan. 4, 2008 at 10:29 PM
I took mine away from my daughter at 2 1/2 it was a rough few days. I just told her she was a big girl now and that pacifiers were for babies once I had her excited about all the things big girls do I had her throw it away (not in our trash) She even had hers named so she was VERY attached. MIMI she called it. Then once she started asking for it I just kept telling her it was gone. It was a rough few days but after about 2-3 days it got better she finally stopped asking for it. The hardest part is going through your entire house to make sure she doesnt find one anywhere. Mine will still come across one from time to time and still put it in her mouth and its been almost a year now.
by New Member on Jan. 6, 2008 at 12:18 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem!!

by Member on Jan. 7, 2008 at 10:49 AM
We did the binky until about 18 months. At 15 months we changed it to Cade could have in for nap and bedtime only. That really helped with the transition. I have heard a few ways of trying to get rid of it. What I did with one or two of them, was cut the end of, so when my son went to suck on it, it didn't work, and he didn't like it. I said opps, it is broken, you need to throw it away, and he did. Your child really needs to be the one to throw it away, it helps with the process.
Some other options I have heard:
-You can tie a binky to a helium balloon and send it off, you can say it is going off to binky heaven, to a binky fairy, whatever your heart desires
-You can put it under your childs pillow for the binky fairy to come and get and take it to the new babies, it will be replaced by a special toy
-Straight talk to your 3 year old. Tell her at 3 kids can't have binky's anymore.
-Since she is loosing them, and she is 3, tell her 3 year olds have to be in charge of their binky's, if she looses it, she has to find it, if she can't oh well, it is gone and she is off them.

I know it is super hard, at least that is what I thought, and it is for the first day maybe two, but after that I promise it does get easier. Cade had a hard time the first day, the second was hard, but not as hard as the first and after that it was like he had never had a binky.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

by Group Owner on Jan. 10, 2008 at 2:19 PM
I took my Son's paci away last March. I cut the tip of it off and he thought it was disgusting and I told him it was broken so I told him to go throw it away and he did. It was a tough couple of weeks but we did it and he hasn't asked for one since. Good Luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)