Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gestational diabetes

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 4:39 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 181 Total Views
Well I had my blood draw today. They wanted an early glucose test. An hour and a half after the doctor called to say I have gestational diabetes :(

Now I wait for a call to get me set up with a dietitian. I didn't have gestational diabetes with my last baby.

She didn't say what my levels were though. It must have been up there to not have to do the 3 hour ... Idk....

Anyone else have gestational diabetes?

They also said I have a bacterial vaginal infection. They prescribed antibiotics which say not to take if breast feeding.... My doctor says if it's not bothering me, don't take it then. Blah
by on Jul. 14, 2017 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
island_latina
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 8:51 PM
No I hVe never had it but I want to wish you luck.
OKH031214
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I am diabetic. Type 2. Don't bother with the dietician. She'll tell you to eat 30 carbs per meal and 2 15 carb snacks a day. All of which will be entirely too many carbs with out insulin. And then they will tell you that you do need insulin and then you will take tons of it leading up to your due date. It's all horse crap.
Reduce inflammatory carbs like rice, corn, and wheat. Reduce intake of high glycemic fruits like oranges and bananas, instead eat strawberries and blueberries. Try to eat meat and green veggies. Skip juice and pop for water. That advise will do you loads better than anything those stupid ADA guideline following hacks. I have been diabetic 6 years and their rules made me way sicker. If you avoid high glycemic foods your sugar will naturally remain lower
kajira
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

IF you have BV you need to take it - if you are breastfeeding, just get a breastfeeding safe antibiotic.

butterflycircle
by Member on Jul. 14, 2017 at 10:31 PM
Thank you! I'm really nervous. I don't trust doctors easily. I know they went to school but sometimes they are so quick to medicate and look at everyone as a text book case.

I found out I was at 199 they like it to be under 140. I don't trust this no fasting one hour test. I ate right before going in too. I feel like I could have done things differently.

My sister had it before and Idk if they gave her a diet plan. She said they had her check her sugar for a week and then had her do diet and pills. I hope diet is enough. I feel like it will be but I guess it's up to my body.

I'm only craving meat. I'm trying to load up on veggies. I've been trying to cut way down on gluten type carbs because I've noticed they hurt my stomach. I only drink water ever so that's easy.

Quoting OKH031214: I am diabetic. Type 2. Don't bother with the dietician. She'll tell you to eat 30 carbs per meal and 2 15 carb snacks a day. All of which will be entirely too many carbs with out insulin. And then they will tell you that you do need insulin and then you will take tons of it leading up to your due date. It's all horse crap.
Reduce inflammatory carbs like rice, corn, and wheat. Reduce intake of high glycemic fruits like oranges and bananas, instead eat strawberries and blueberries. Try to eat meat and green veggies. Skip juice and pop for water. That advise will do you loads better than anything those stupid ADA guideline following hacks. I have been diabetic 6 years and their rules made me way sicker. If you avoid high glycemic foods your sugar will naturally remain lower
jayangel82
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2017 at 12:26 AM
I've never had it, why did they test so early?
OKH031214
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2017 at 12:34 AM
It isn't natural for us to consume that kind of sugar in a few minutes and then expect our bodies to bounce back quick. Some people take 2 or 3 hours. The longer I have been diabetic and done research...I see how little the doctors understand about nutrition and diabetes in general. It isn't any wonder there are so many diabetics...their doctors and nutritionists are not helping them

Quoting butterflycircle: Thank you! I'm really nervous. I don't trust doctors easily. I know they went to school but sometimes they are so quick to medicate and look at everyone as a text book case.

I found out I was at 199 they like it to be under 140. I don't trust this no fasting one hour test. I ate right before going in too. I feel like I could have done things differently.

My sister had it before and Idk if they gave her a diet plan. She said they had her check her sugar for a week and then had her do diet and pills. I hope diet is enough. I feel like it will be but I guess it's up to my body.

I'm only craving meat. I'm trying to load up on veggies. I've been trying to cut way down on gluten type carbs because I've noticed they hurt my stomach. I only drink water ever so that's easy.

Quoting OKH031214: I am diabetic. Type 2. Don't bother with the dietician. She'll tell you to eat 30 carbs per meal and 2 15 carb snacks a day. All of which will be entirely too many carbs with out insulin. And then they will tell you that you do need insulin and then you will take tons of it leading up to your due date. It's all horse crap.
noonelikeme564
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2017 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I've never had gestational diabetes. I can't believe your doctor gave the advice of not taking the antibiotics if the infection is not bothering you...if I got that right! That's crazy! Many infections if not treated can lead to miscarriage and preterm birth during pregnancy! I'd definitely ask for a breastfeeding safe antibiotic for the meantime and I'd probably start to make a little stash just in case things like this happen again. 😊❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
butterflycircle
by Member on Jul. 15, 2017 at 10:02 AM
I'm guessing because I'm over weight but last year they didn't test so early and I didn't have it with that pregnancy at all.

Quoting jayangel82: I've never had it, why did they test so early?
jayangel82
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2017 at 11:24 AM
Maybe something came up.in another test?

Quoting butterflycircle: I'm guessing because I'm over weight but last year they didn't test so early and I didn't have it with that pregnancy at all.

Quoting jayangel82: I've never had it, why did they test so early?
DixonBabies
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2017 at 5:37 PM

How long before the test did you eat? Do you have any symptoms? I know sometimes with GD there are none, so just wanted to know if you have any like feeling bad after eating, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)