Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not in the area now but will be soon!

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:59 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 335 Total Views

Hi,

My name is Jennifer and I will be moving to the Tampa area soon (july).  I am a Navy wife and my hubby is getting stationed down there...weird I know.  I have NEVER lived in FL so I have no idea what to expect. Whats the weather like? Where are the good places to live?  I am a SAHM to my dear daughter, Stephanie (though she will probably going to pre-school there...eeeek).  Nice to meet you all!!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mominseffnerfl
by New Member on Feb. 2, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Hi my name is misty im not from tampa but very close . I live on the edge of tampa, it is called seffner. I've lived here for about 15 years, almost half my life. Oh and the weather here is really nice. I m sure you will love it !

fruteach
by Member on Feb. 2, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Hi Jennifer,

My name is Karen and I live in Tampa in the Town n Country area. I really like this part of town. Other nice areas to live are the Westchase/ Citrus Park areas. North Tampa and South Tampa. The weather is for the most part pretty nice. July is a pretty hot month but it gets really nice here in the winters. We have been getting into the 60's and 70's lately and it has been wonderful. We do get cold snaps and can get down to the 30's and 40's  but if you are from up north that should be nothing. How old is your daughter? I have a daughter, Emily, that just turned 4 in Nov. I hope you like it here. There is a lot to do. We have a wonderful zoo, aquarium, Busch Gardens and we are close to the beaches. And there is always a park nearby. Good luck on your move in July.

Misscami71
by on Feb. 3, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Hi, I 'm Camilla SAHM

My husband just retired from the Navy in June. I moved to Tampa from Chicago about 5 years ago and my dd, Gabriella,  will be four in June. I live close to Busch Boulevard and Florida Avenue on the north side.

There are quite a few nice places to live in Tampa , it just depends on what your budget is.   They do have a lot of pools  and parks here which is great, but be prepared for mosquitoes, ants, and large bugs pretty much all year long.  Beaches are not that far away, and your pretty close to Orlando also. Most of the parks or attractions give discounts (esp. Disney and Busch Gardens) to Florida residents or military  so make sure you let them know if you go anywhere.  

Worst adjustment for me was not being able to find the food I'm used to. We have a Giardano's (pizza) here now  so I'm  good.   If I can campaign Portillo's to put a place down here, this will truly be heaven. The driving seems a little more crazy  and I'm used to city driving from living up north.  People down here seem to insist on being the first one at the stop light.

You will not really need your winter stuff or sweaters anymore, so I would give most of  it away before you come down (less to move), just keep 1 or 2 items for when we have cold snaps like the one right now.  

My  wardrobe consists of mostly,capris, shorts, polos, and t-shirts. I  used to wear mostly black (Chicago Chic , lol) but I had to due away with most of it since you fry in the sun here just driving around town. Be prepared to sunblock all the time, esp. the first couple weeks.  My pale sister got sunburned on her face just driving from Tampa to Orlando.    Make sure the air conditioning works in your car(s).

I'm guessing the military is moving you, I don't know if this is your first one or not.  My advice is make sure you keep track of things and  keep anything you cherish with you.  If you have someone to watch your child when the movers come to pack you up, it will help because it's a pretty hectic day.  I was pretty anal about everything (luckily so were the movers) and I still managed to lose a box somewhere.  

Brushing up on the basic Spanish doesn't hurt also. It is pretty bilingual here.

Let us know if you need anything else! 

Welcome to Tampa! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)