Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mayim Bialik Responds to Backlash Over Weinstein Op-Ed: It's 'Sad How Vicious People Are Being'

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2017 at 8:53 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 100 Total Views

Mayim Bialik has been accused of victim blaming for an op-ed she penned about the allegations of sexual misconduct against Harvey Weinstein.

In the New York Times article titled “Being a Feminist in Harvey Weinstein’s World,” the Big Bang Theory star wrote that she has “experienced the upside of not being a ‘perfect 10.’ ”

“As a proud feminist with little desire to diet, get plastic surgery or hire a personal trainer, I have almost no personal experience with men asking me to meetings in their hotel rooms,” Bialik said. “Those of us in Hollywood who don’t represent an impossible standard of beauty have the ‘luxury’ of being overlooked and, in many cases, ignored by men in power unless we can make them money.”

The 41-year-old actress went on to note the choices she makes that she deemed to be “self-protecting and wise.”

“I have decided that my sexual self is best reserved for private situations with those I am most intimate with,” she wrote. “I dress modestly. I don’t act flirtatiously with men as a policy.”

RELATED VIDEO: Harvey Weinstein Speaks Out Amid Sexual Harassment Scandal: ‘We All Make Mistakes’

Harvey Weinstein Speaks Out Amid Sexual Harassment Scandal: ‘We All Make Mistakes’

A source confirmed to PEOPLE that Weinstein, 65, had flown out of Los Angeles to enter a residential treatment facility.

She continued, “I am entirely aware that these types of choices might feel oppressive to many young feminists. Women should be able to wear whatever they want. They should be able to flirt however they want with whomever they want. Why are we the ones who have to police our behavior? In a perfect world, women should be free to act however they want. But our world isn’t perfect. Nothing—absolutely nothing—excuses men for assaulting or abusing women. But we can’t be naïve about the culture we live in.”

The op-ed was quickly met with negative feedback and accusations of victim-blaming.

“@missmayim229 I have to say I was dressed non provocatively as a 12 year old when men on the street masturbated at me,” actress Patricia Arquette tweeted on Saturday. “It’s not clothing.”

Another chimed in, “Mayim Bialik missed the perfect opportunity to call out men in Hollywood. Instead she blames women.”

Bialik responded to the backlash on Twitter Saturday evening.

“I’m being told my N.Y. Times piece resonated with so many and I am beyond grateful for all of the feedback,” she said. “I also see a bunch of people have taken my words out of the context of the Hollywood machine and twisted them to imply that God forbid I would blame a woman for her assault based on her clothing or behavior. Anyone who knows me and my feminism knows that’s absurd and not at all what this piece was about. It’s so sad how vicious people are being when I basically live to make things better for women.”

Related image

by on Oct. 15, 2017 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Meowmuffin
by Molly on Oct. 15, 2017 at 8:53 PM

Unpopular opinion alert (i'm not going to even bother sharing this opinion in N&P) I can see both sides of the issue. Of course women should be able to wear whatever they want and be out going to flirtatious but in an industry that sells sex there has to be some awareness of how you are projecting yourself to the world. 

thebride
by Lady Mel on Oct. 15, 2017 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know. I think that is close to victim blaming. When I was raped I was a young girl not wearing anything sexy. 

Quoting Meowmuffin:

Unpopular opinion alert (i'm not going to even bother sharing this opinion in N&P) I can see both sides of the issue. Of course women should be able to wear whatever they want and be out going to flirtatious but in an industry that sells sex there has to be some awareness of how you are projecting yourself to the world. 

Lolitalux
by Working Mom on Oct. 20, 2017 at 9:19 PM
I think she forgets perhaps she doesn't want to remember that most women who are raped are not dressing like whores.
Meowmuffin
by Molly on Oct. 20, 2017 at 9:59 PM

Or little girls that are raped. I just read about a baby in Oregon that was raped. But I will say that some women could use caution to protect themselves and I think that's what Mayim is actually saying here. She doesn't put herself in the situation to be harassed and I don't think she's saying it only happens to sluts or skanks.  For example when I lived in Vacaville Ca. (I know you've lived there too so maybe you know where this happened) This woman was leaving a bar on Alamo. She walked with a man she met at the bar instead of a friend she usually walked with , he was someone she didn't know. He offered to walk her home and to show a short cut through the Alamo creekwalk. Then he found a dark spot and attacked her  he raped her and robbed her. She did NOT deserve that, no one does, however, had she not walked with a stranger all alone to a "short cut" where there are no lights, no cars and no people walking by maybe just maybe she wouldn't have been attacked. 

Quoting Lolitalux: I think she forgets perhaps she doesn't want to remember that most women who are raped are not dressing like whores.

Related image

Meowmuffin
by Molly on Oct. 21, 2017 at 1:42 AM

I'm sorry that happened to you 

Quoting thebride:

I don't know. I think that is close to victim blaming. When I was raped I was a young girl not wearing anything sexy. 

Quoting Meowmuffin:

Image result for drag race crying gif

Lolitalux
by Working Mom on Oct. 21, 2017 at 12:21 PM
From what I read on line about "Blossom" is she has an inflated personal idea of herself. It really shows when she writes about these things
Quoting Meowmuffin:

Or little girls that are raped. I just read about a baby in Oregon that was raped. But I will say that some women could use caution to protect themselves and I think that's what Mayim is actually saying here. She doesn't put herself in the situation to be harassed and I don't think she's saying it only happens to sluts or skanks.  For example when I lived in Vacaville Ca. (I know you've lived there too so maybe you know where this happened) This woman was leaving a bar on Alamo. She walked with a man she met at the bar instead of a friend she usually walked with , he was someone she didn't know. He offered to walk her home and to show a short cut through the Alamo creekwalk. Then he found a dark spot and attacked her  he raped her and robbed her. She did NOT deserve that, no one does, however, had she not walked with a stranger all alone to a "short cut" where there are no lights, no cars and no people walking by maybe just maybe she wouldn't have been attacked. 

Quoting Lolitalux: I think she forgets perhaps she doesn't want to remember that most women who are raped are not dressing like whores.

Black or White ~ Wrong or Right
adorkablemommie
by African Queen on Oct. 21, 2017 at 2:30 PM
She needed to make it clear she was talking about being a hyperventilate female in a professional setting.

There is a way to get her point across she did it poorly
Quoting Meowmuffin:

MeMeMe111
by New Member on Oct. 21, 2017 at 11:37 PM
Whoa why the looong face? Get it? Lol

Quoting Meowmuffin:

Mayim Bialik has been accused of victim blaming for an op-ed she penned about the allegations of sexual misconduct against Harvey Weinstein.

In the New York Times article titled “Being a Feminist in Harvey Weinstein’s World,” the Big Bang Theory star wrote that she has “experienced the upside of not being a ‘perfect 10.’ ”

“As a proud feminist with little desire to diet, get plastic surgery or hire a personal trainer, I have almost no personal experience with men asking me to meetings in their hotel rooms,” Bialik said. “Those of us in Hollywood who don’t represent an impossible standard of beauty have the ‘luxury’ of being overlooked and, in many cases, ignored by men in power unless we can make them money.”

The 41-year-old actress went on to note the choices she makes that she deemed to be “self-protecting and wise.”

“I have decided that my sexual self is best reserved for private situations with those I am most intimate with,” she wrote. “I dress modestly. I don’t act flirtatiously with men as a policy.”

RELATED VIDEO: Harvey Weinstein Speaks Out Amid Sexual Harassment Scandal: ‘We All Make Mistakes’

Harvey Weinstein Speaks Out Amid Sexual Harassment Scandal: ‘We All Make Mistakes’

A source confirmed to PEOPLE that Weinstein, 65, had flown out of Los Angeles to enter a residential treatment facility.

She continued, “I am entirely aware that these types of choices might feel oppressive to many young feminists. Women should be able to wear whatever they want. They should be able to flirt however they want with whomever they want. Why are we the ones who have to police our behavior? In a perfect world, women should be free to act however they want. But our world isn’t perfect. Nothing—absolutely nothing—excuses men for assaulting or abusing women. But we can’t be naïve about the culture we live in.”

The op-ed was quickly met with negative feedback and accusations of victim-blaming.

“@missmayim229 I have to say I was dressed non provocatively as a 12 year old when men on the street masturbated at me,” actress Patricia Arquette tweeted on Saturday. “It’s not clothing.”

Another chimed in, “Mayim Bialik missed the perfect opportunity to call out men in Hollywood. Instead she blames women.”

Bialik responded to the backlash on Twitter Saturday evening.

“I’m being told my N.Y. Times piece resonated with so many and I am beyond grateful for all of the feedback,” she said. “I also see a bunch of people have taken my words out of the context of the Hollywood machine and twisted them to imply that God forbid I would blame a woman for her assault based on her clothing or behavior. Anyone who knows me and my feminism knows that’s absurd and not at all what this piece was about. It’s so sad how vicious people are being when I basically live to make things better for women.”

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)