Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking kids to the hospital

Posted by   + Show Post
I was planning on a midwife and homebirth but if insurance pays for more on a hospital birth that's what we will be doing. I'm not thrilled about it at all. But money is sadly the deciding factor : /.
I don't want to stress about waiting on someone to watch the kids when I go in labor. (I also know I would need to ask hospital if it's ok for them to even be there.) Has anyone taken their kids with them to the hospital when they went in labor? My ds is 5 and Dd is 2. I'm only 9 weeks and have plenty of time to think about these things but it's something that stresses me out.
by on Mar. 7, 2018 at 11:32 AM
Replies (31-33):
tuckermum
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah. I'd much rather have homebirth. I'm going to be calling around hospitals and OBs to find out about laboring and everything. The one I was looking at mentioned finding the best position to push and mentioned quite a bit of different ways so hopefully they take more of a natural approach.
I hope you can get what you are wanting :)

Quoting mnmo3bb:

It's too soon to say for sure but I'd like to meet the midwives that offer post partum care. Ideally I'd like to see my favorite midwives at the hospital until delivery, deliver at home and then pay out of pocket for the post partum care. But I don't know yet if I have peace about another unassisted. If the post partum people can be there right after delivery I think that would be my choice. I don't want to fight the hospital and their policies. After your 5th/6th they have a lot of extra protocols. I also don't want to prove I'm in labor. 

Quoting tuckermum: I'm actually not crabby during labor which surprised me. lol
What are planning y'all planning on doing?

Quoting mnmo3bb: My friend took my oldest when #2 was born. My sil came over while our oldest 2 slept when #3 was born (very quickly). Another friend helped when I had #4. #6 was my first home birth, my children were all older (3-12)but I had a friend helping with them. My oldest heard the baby cry so she told my friend & it was so funny hearing them outside the bathroom door all excited.

I'm super crabby when I'm in labor, I don't want my children to see me in pain & associate that w/the new baby. I also need my husband focusing on me, not the children. My mom might be able to come stay as it gets closer or I think the friend that was here last time will help again. We're in the same situation about insurance. Our insurance covers 0 for a home birth but the hospital is a couple pay of 250 each. I found a home birth midwife that offers just post partum care for 600. Otherwise it's 4500-5700 for full home birth care :(

tuckermum
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 8:19 AM
That's rough. :( I'm sure you miss them.

Quoting britishmummy:

Every few months we facetime. But the timezone is so hard as I work also. Like now I just got home it's 2pm, but for them it is 1am. And when they wake up, my kids will be in bed and I'll be busy cleaning and organizing. 

Quoting tuckermum: Oh man that's rough :( I can't imagine not seeing my parents for that long.
Do y'all skype or anything?

Quoting britishmummy: My parents live near Saudi Arabia so it’s a long flight with multiple connections. That’s the reason I haven’t seen them since 2013!

Quoting tuckermum: How long of a flight is it for her?
Yes I can't imagine not having Dh by my side.

Quoting britishmummy: I and hoping my in laws will watch my kids. If not I’ll fly my mum to us and have her help. My second babe, we lived overseas and luckily had a friend take my then 23 month old son en route to the hospital! My husband has always stayed with me the entire time I was in the hospital for both previous births so hopefully we can do it this time too.

tuckermum
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2018 at 8:20 AM
That's awesome that you have a good support team :)

Quoting SaimyaAndJoeJr: My kids will probably be with my family just not sure which ones possible my mother and grandmother, or my father and step mother or in laws or my sister. Depends a lot on schedules they have since the kids have school and what not. The last time everybody traded off and split the time with the kids since I had a c section I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)