Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Realllllllllllllllly pissed! (Fin Aid scam?)

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok so most of you know I got my AA through UOP last March. I decided after asking a million questions to go on ahead and get my bachelors with them. I have been in classes for it since March of last yr, its now Feb, almost March. I get an email from my fin aid counseling telling me that Id be getting a small refund (something like $175), then it goes onto say this year is that last yr they can certify me for student loans because I have too many? I was like wtf? How can I have too many? I only have taken out what they told me too, and I have been in college less then 4 yrs. How can I have an issue with loans? She says I might need a private loan to pay for school. Well I cant get one, my credit skinks, and I dont have a job which is one reason IM IN SCHOOL so I CAN get a job once my degree is complete.

I dont know what I am going to do. If they drop me after this semester I will be less then a year from graduation and not have my Bachelors. I am thinking I may call around to see if other schools would do the same to me or not? Anyone else have this problem?

Join us at Nobama Mamas        

Get cash back by buying and selling on ebay

by on Feb. 26, 2010 at 8:45 AM
Replies (21-26):
darkangel595
by on Mar. 17, 2010 at 1:23 AM

Quoting gemgem:

Ok so most of you know I got my AA through UOP last March. I decided after asking a million questions to go on ahead and get my bachelors with them. I have been in classes for it since March of last yr, its now Feb, almost March. I get an email from my fin aid counseling telling me that Id be getting a small refund (something like $175), then it goes onto say this year is that last yr they can certify me for student loans because I have too many? I was like wtf? How can I have too many? I only have taken out what they told me too, and I have been in college less then 4 yrs. How can I have an issue with loans? She says I might need a private loan to pay for school. Well I cant get one, my credit skinks, and I dont have a job which is one reason IM IN SCHOOL so I CAN get a job once my degree is complete.

I dont know what I am going to do. If they drop me after this semester I will be less then a year from graduation and not have my Bachelors. I am thinking I may call around to see if other schools would do the same to me or not? Anyone else have this problem?

I start like 2 months after you did. I am still waiting on them to "fix" my paper work. My funds are on hold waiting on them! I don't understand how you have to pay we get $12,500 a year plus pell. That should be enough to cover it and if that is a problem they shouldn't be rasing tuition if they can't the damn funds! Call your loan company. Mine is sallie mae I talk to them a lot thats how I KNOW its UoP

gemgem
by on Mar. 24, 2010 at 10:03 AM

I finally got an email back after I sent one around a week ago. And she is saying that I am reaching my aggregate limit for my undergraduate program. They are claiming that they have spent $52419.00 and that the limit is $57,000.00. She told me to try and get the loans consolated which I am going ahead and trying to do. I already had loans in consoladation from college when I went in KY 10 yrs old.

The problem Im having is that I spoke with someone named Michael Rodriguez just before I got my AA and he of course was trying to sell me on continuing my ed through them. I already had decided I would as long as I could afford it. He ASSURED me getting my loans and pell grants to finish with my Bachelors wouldnt be a problem at all. Now all of a sudden, less then a year later mind you, theres a problem? I dont mind consoladating my loans, what I mind is that they have used so much of my loans and didnt tell me in advance. At this point if I dont do something I cant go to school passed November. That means itll be a huge waste of time and money on my part, and Ill be walking away with no more then an AA degree and have had paid $57,000 for it.

Join us at Nobama Mamas        

complextrina Group Owner
by on Mar. 24, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Quoting gemgem:

I finally got an email back after I sent one around a week ago. And she is saying that I am reaching my aggregate limit for my undergraduate program. They are claiming that they have spent $52419.00 and that the limit is $57,000.00. She told me to try and get the loans consolated which I am going ahead and trying to do. I already had loans in consoladation from college when I went in KY 10 yrs old.

The problem Im having is that I spoke with someone named Michael Rodriguez just before I got my AA and he of course was trying to sell me on continuing my ed through them. I already had decided I would as long as I could afford it. He ASSURED me getting my loans and pell grants to finish with my Bachelors wouldnt be a problem at all. Now all of a sudden, less then a year later mind you, theres a problem? I dont mind consoladating my loans, what I mind is that they have used so much of my loans and didnt tell me in advance. At this point if I dont do something I cant go to school passed November. That means itll be a huge waste of time and money on my part, and Ill be walking away with no more then an AA degree and have had paid $57,000 for it.

wow. thats pretty shitty. someone should have told you about the limitation...and even still.....i dont understand how you accrued that much in student loans, even if you went previously. I owe somewhere around $17-18,000 and then I will have my associates in 4-5 (i dont remember) classes, so thats still not nearly half that amount. someone somewhere screwed up......I would call up the main line and speak to yet again whomever is available and see what they can tell you because that still doesnt seem right to me....but who am I? just an axia student, not someone who works there and "knows" what theyre talking about <---------sarcasm.

gemgem
by on Mar. 24, 2010 at 4:16 PM

It doesnt seem right to me either. I had attended college at Kentucky Christian College in 1996-97 and lived on campus. I know I had some loans there to coer housing since I had children, and also to pay for classes and books etc. It was a regular brick and mortar college. I really liked it too, but my ex husband showed up on campus and enrolled and long story short I ended up having to leave. I have those loans consolodated. I think the total is under $5000 for the time I was there, of course I did pay down some and originally it was upwards of $8500-$9000 for the year. So since thats paid down to almost half what I had owed I dont know how UOP could have used that much more money. Thatd still b e an aweful lot.

I think anyone going there should contact financial aid and ask about their loan amounts so this doesnt happen to you guys either.

Join us at Nobama Mamas        

darkangel595
by on Mar. 25, 2010 at 3:31 PM

That is horrbile. How can they use that much? It doesn't make much sense at all! I think they should be carefully reviewing all the files that come in before crap like this happens.

My pell grant has once again been moved back to July now cause of their paper work screw up. My loans went back to Sallie Mae. They got it fixed but since I am not getting my loans my Pell will be on hold until I finish 12 credits. ( which is the class I am currently in and 3 more). The only up side to all of this is my 12 credits UoP has to pay for. It is free for me as long as I pass the classes. I don't understand why they are still holding my pell grant which the entire amount was to go to me. I was suppose to get it in Feb. now I have to wait until July.

gemgem
by on Mar. 26, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Funny, they sent some of my loans back and said my Pell was being held too. I think its something going on in the department. If they hold Pells through their bank they get interest. I had it out with my Fin Aid lady today. I will be able to consolidate around $11k of my loans, but now I just dont even want to go to class until I know if Im going to be able to finish. And today she said my pell, well Im not gonna see it at all until this is all situated. I go to college and the pell is the only reason I havent gotten a part time job. Its worked for me and my family because I get to homeschool my son, and also get my degree with a little money from the pell coming to us too. Without the pell I really wont be able to justify going to college rather then getting a job.

Join us at Nobama Mamas        

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)