Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!!!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:06 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 312 Total Views

Ok, so we will be moving to Alaska the beginning of the new year. My question for you ladies is....what type of winter coats should I get for my girls (5 and 6 1/2yrs old)??? I am so confused as to which type of material. Is a polyester "blend" warm enough? That's all I've been coming across!!! My husband seems to think it isn't warm enough. The coats I've looked at have fleece linings and a "polyester blend" type material as the "insulation". I haven't shopped for a winter coat in years!!! (7 to be exact) My little one is allergic to feathers, so goose down (or whatever) is out of the question. As for wool, I'm not even sure how she would react to that due to all her allergies and sensitve skin. So, please, someone HELP!!

Thanks so much!!!                                                                         

Iris L.            air force Proud Air Force Wife           

Proud mommy of two beautiful girls

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MariahD
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 1:30 PM

LOL I just bought reg winter jackets.  I have a 6 year old and a 16 month old. I make sure everything is water proof. Look on the tags if it says good until -10 degrees DON'T get it. Like for the boots you want about -40.  Kids are allowed to play outside until -20. I sent my daughter to school today in snowboarder pants (I bought at JCPenny) a bubble jacket (I got at walmart) a knit cap with fleece inside and a matching scarf (also from walmart) and some waterproof winter gloves. She does have boots that are expensive, but you can't be cheap on their little feet. She has Solarus boots go up to -45 degrees. When we are just running around town we all have a pair of Uggs (or ugg type boots), scaves, things over our ears, jacket and gloves.  You run from the building to the car, car to the building. your not going to be hanging out outside in -30, -40 degree weather.  Good luck =)

Lilypie

Lilypie
NDesmond
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 7:32 PM

My toddler son goes to daycare in a Spiderman jacket that I brought at Fred Meyer and basic bibbed snow pants that I also bought at Fred Meyer. I recommend finding winter gloves that have attached gaitors, check out : www.lbow.com/ also, make sure they have a warm hat. I definitely agree on making sure that you find things that are waterproof. My son's boots are also good down to -20, which is fine for a toddler as he won't be out when it's really cold.

Columbia and North Face make kids winter gear if you still need ideas. Look at Sorel boots or Kamik boots, they're both good brands.

Good websites to shop at are: LandsEnd.com or SierraTradingPost.com, you can even check out Cabelas for kids gear.

Good luck!

Julina2807
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Thanks ladies!!! I just ordered their coats & snow pants from The Children's Place, online. It says it's made from  water-resistant nylon/Taslon is filled with Thermolite insulation. I got the gloves from there also which are insulated with Thermolite Plus....ohhh the new words I'm learning....lol  I need to get the boots now....I am sooo tired of "shopping"!!! lol

I just hope everything fits...lol    If not I'll have to drive an hour to the store to exchange it!

Thank You!!!!

Iris L.            air force Proud Air Force Wife           

Proud mommy of two beautiful girls

SarineLewis
by on Mar. 31, 2010 at 1:19 PM

luckily you came during a warm winter. It is normaly colder and more layers are suggested. Fleece is one of the best though. And probably won't be bothersome to sensative skin.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)