Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Creating A Altar..

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 1:27 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 924 Total Views

I'm wanting to start up my Altar. I would like to keep it in my bedroom. However I don't want it out in display because my kids sometimes go in my room. Is there a way I could create it and keep it out of view in there. And how often do I need to cleanse my tools and what not? Thanks.

by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 1:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KnittinMama
by Maiden Amy on Jan. 31, 2011 at 6:15 AM
If you dont want it visible I would suggest keeping your altar items either simple and ordinary or in a box. You can take them out when you want and hide them when you need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.BAT
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Ditto on keeping them in a box or something like that. I've seen altars that you wouldn't know were altars before because the items seemed so ordinary and mundane, also. Or if you have the space for it, you could set it up and keep it in a closet or something like that.

As far as cleansing tools and the like, I cleansed mine when I got them and now I just cleanse them whenever it feels like they need to be cleansed (like energy not flowing well, etc.). You can cleanse them monthly (like at each Esbat), at each Sabbat, on certain designated days throughout the year, once a year, twice a year, seasonally, etc. That's really up to you and how your tools feel to you and how often you think they need to be cleansed.

MegaMutant
by on Feb. 1, 2011 at 2:06 PM

What about an armoire or other large freestanding cabinet? You could set it all up inside so all you have to do it open the doors. No setting up or putting things away.

MamaK88
by Willow on Feb. 1, 2011 at 2:34 PM

My Altars...

Or, you can use a shelf like my first one above. 

my15graces
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 3:55 AM

May I ask why you do not wish your children to see it? I helped all of my children build their own alters in their rooms by the time they were 5, It really teaches them to respect that sacred space rather it is their personal or the family alter.

However if for some reason that is not an option for you. You could do what I did while we were fostering a child we were adopting through catholic charities. I emptied out a bottom drawer that I could sit in front of and set it up as an alter. It put away easy and set up just as easy, and was a wonderful place to meditate.

nursepoppy
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 8:05 PM

When I wasn't able to openly have the more traditional alter items, I adjusted it, so it looked like regular household things.  I had a candle and a vase of fresh flowers.  Now that I have my own apartment, I have a regular alter that I leave up all the time in my living room.  The suggestions above about the armoire or drawer sound like they might be good options for you though. 

blueeyes06
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 2:11 PM

I have a beginners Wicca alter. Right know, do to space and religious difference's I storea the alter in a crate in the office. I keep all my alter tools etc in it. I have tried to take it out and use it. My family Jewish, I am not ready to keep it out. My husband doesn't care to see it, but he is OK that I practice by myself.

BB

dena vogel

MeggerSmith
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Im still figuring where I want mine. Im just starting to gather everything. We are re-doing the kitchen and living room ( paint, furniture,art etc) and they are a joint space so Im thinking of having a special spot for it. Hubs has been very involved in ideas and Im loving it because we have never been so bonded by religion or in a spiritual manner before and its bringing us closer. BUT we are not any where close to coming out of the broom closet yet to our family. And they never visit our house so Im not worried about them seeing it.

I do like the shelf idea or an armoire if you need it more discreet and out of the way

mama-ellie
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 4:34 PM

What about on a serving tray under you bed?? That way all you would have to do is pull it out.

I haven't found a permanent spot for an alter yet. Also I have different places for my tools and such. So when I need an alter I just go around the house and collect all the things I feel that I need and find a quiet place. I find this is actually fun for me, it gets me relaxed and I know I'm preparing for something special.

teralita
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 4:51 PM
My personal alter is on a dresser top in our guest bedroom. It has all kinds of things on it but no matter who sleeps in there ( including ultra right wing in-laws ) no one seems to notice. I guess I have it well protected. More likely everyone is oblivious.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)