Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to the Group/Homeschooling Questions

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:47 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 294 Total Views

Hello I just joined the group. I have an 8 year old and a 2 year old (they will be 9 and 3 this month) I don't currently homeschool right now but I am really considering it. With my older daughter I worked outside the home from the time she was 11 months old until she was 5 her babysitter who was awsome with her homeschooled all 6 of her kids plus my daughter. I was really impressed with the things her kids knew and it really seemed like they were getting a much better education from her than I know I did going to public schools all my life. She has offered to continue to homeschool her and even homeschool my younger daughter for me but I moved and it would be a finical burdon to drive back and forth daily to her house. My daughter is currently in public school but she just doesn't seem to be getting the education there that she was getting when she was homeschooled she's in second grade and they are doing things she allready knew before she even started school. Another problem I have right now with her being in public school is personal problems with the school herself. Currently I am a work at home mom and I would love to homeschool not only her but also my other daughter but I honestly don't know where to even begin. I mean I know with my younger daughter being so young of course I've taught her her colors, counting, basic things like that and I did work with my older daughter on papers that her babysitter would send home for her to do when she was homeschooling and I always help her with her homework but that's all things that other people have said this needs to be done so it's done. I just don't know where to actualy get started with fully homeschooling her as far as what are the requirements for homeschooling, where do you get material, what costs are involved and how do you actualy go about pulling them from public school to homeschool them without being in trouble for not sending them to school. Also since this is a homeschooling group I'd like to know emotionaly how is it? We usualy get along great doing school work and both of us actualy look foward to doing her homework together but doing school work daily with her and all of it being done with the two of us I'm not 100% sure how that would go so any suggestions there would also be great.

Thanks in advance for any imput at all I really do appericiate it :)

100% FREE MONEY from home http://www.freewebs.com/freemoneyfromhome

by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
BunnyGirl82
by New Member on May. 3, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Hi :)

I think it is so wonderful that you are willing to go above & beyond for your kids <3

Okay well I will just get right down to it ,As far as home-school laws..Every state is different..here is web site that will help http://www.hslda.org/  after visiting that ,Contact your local school board and ask them what you need to do if & when you choose to home-school..They will tell you exactly what they require from you :)

As  far as curriculum there are sooooo many out there...And really it depends on you and your child what you should choose..Every child learns diffrently and what work for one maynot work for the other...

LIke one home-schooler may love Abeka but another may not like it being "christian" based or maybe they dont want to have to sit there hours on end to utlise it kwim

I can tell you for us personally We chose a Online program called http://www.time4learning.com/

I have a 8 yr & 3 yr as well ...and they both love it!!

It does 98% of the teaching...grades the work for me and best of all keeps records!!!

I think i like how it already set up lesson wise and this allows my child to work at thier own pace. Because of this we  have chose to school "year round" so we only do school 2-3 days a week. on avg..but sometimes we made do more if the kids want to...(even if your state requires X amount of hours a week you can still school year round)

BUt of course  what works for me may not work for you..... but they do offer a 2 week money back gurantee so if you decided to try you dont have to worry about losing any money $-)

I hope i have helped...if you want to ask me anything else please fell free to :)

aspiringangel01
by New Member on May. 4, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Thanks soooooo much yes you have helped alot I really do appericiate it. The lady I know that does homeschool she's a sweetheart but I think she's been doing it for so long (about 20 years now) that she gets ahead of herself when explaining what's required, etc. so she had me completley lost lol. I'm going to go check out the links you posted. Thanks again :)

100% FREE MONEY from home http://www.freewebs.com/freemoneyfromhome

BunnyGirl82
by New Member on May. 7, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Glad I could help :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)