Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Montessori

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 11:41 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 248 Total Views

Hello,

I am interested in homeschooling my (almost)one year old in the Montessori method.  There is a lot of information about schools but not for a homeschooler on this method.  There are not any Montessori schools in our area and I have decided to homeschool instead so she can benefit from Montessori.  Does anyone have any advice?

by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
itsbabytime
by New Member on Aug. 10, 2007 at 3:46 PM
I love Montessori, and use it in every aspect of parenting my 23 month old daughter.  I acutally got my Montessori Teaching Certificate through an online degree program.  Now I have all the materials and information I will need for the next few years.  To practice the skills, I might actually sign her up for a Montessori class, and be an assistant teacher for the class...as long as it pays for her attendence, I want to really get a grasp for how Montessori functions.  It is hard to totally grasp until you see it working...its amazing.  I have even become a better housekeeper because of Montessori.  

Good Luck 
dkmomglz
by on Aug. 13, 2007 at 11:28 AM
What is Montessori?  I've never heard of it, but I'm always interested in new methods that might work for my girls.  They're in kindergarten and 7th grade this year.
Catalinasmom
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2007 at 1:23 AM
Montessori is a method of education that is supposed to begin before birth.  I am not an expert yet but I will tell you a few things.  You mostly are directed into introducing the materials by observing the child and judging when he/she is ready for the next level or material.  The lessons are presented in three parts gradualy as the child shows understanding and mastery of each level. My child is one year and here is what I have done so far:
1. I have set up her room to emulate the Montessori classrooms that I have observed:Her bed is a matress placed on the floor so she can get in and out on her own.  Her room has been safety checked so that this is not a danger and there is a baby gate on one door so that we can look in to check on her but not disturb her.  The other door remains closed unless she is going in or out.  Right now I am trying to emphasize "sensory" materials.  i.e. different feelings of stuff to peek her curiousity and get her brain moving.  On the advice of some other Montessorians I am also using Baby Einstein materials (although the DVDs are limited to one a day) and Leap Frog materials as age appropriate.  I show her how to use each level of a material and leave her to it till I see that she is ready for the next level.  I am emphasizing at this moment pulling up and walking and talking.  I speak to her constantly unless she is in her three hour self directed work/play period then I leave her alone.  She is constantly with me and I explain everything that I am doing in detail.  For pulling up I use toys and materials that she can pull up on and push in front of her.  (I also plan on installing a mirror with a ballet bar so she can practice pulling up.  This I have seen in many Montessori classrooms.)  I let her try anything that she wants to.  I saw that she wanted to wipe her table and wash her hands when she is done with a meal so I help her to do these things on her own.  i.e. after she has eaten I let her wipe her own hands and face with a napkin then I give her a rag and I keep a rag and I wash one side of the table or tray and she does the other side.  Then we go to the wash basin.  She is not yet strong enough to pour the water from the pitcher so I do that for her and let her watch then she dips her hands into the basin and then I put some soap on her hands and let her squish it around and then she puts her hands back into the basin to rinse I then hand her a small towel and let her dry her hands and let her watch me fold the towel and pour out the water and refill with more water for the next handwashing.  This from what I understand is a big part of self care and care of the environment which is big in Montessori.  The children are taught to care for themselves and their environment first because they then are responsible for the upkeep of materials that they are presented throughout their Montessori experience.  The materials are mostly sensorial in nature such as:  Sandpaper letters to learn the alphabet and moveable alphabet to learn beginning language/reading.  Rods and beads to learn math concepts.  Hands on science lessons.  and a whole lot more.  I am really loving learning about Montessori and am looking forward to implementing it as much as possible into my daughters life al throughout her education as I will be homeschooling her through high school.  My husband and I are also looking into making some of the materials ourselves as they tend to be quite costly. 
These are all things geared toward a one year old but I do know that there are entire curruculums dedicated to all levels even the ones that your children are at.  some good places on the internet to go is to youtube.com type in Montessori in the search area and there are some awsome videos, also montessorimom.com is a wonderful website especially for your child in kindergarten.
I hope this helps answer your question.  Please get in touch with me as I am so looking to correspond with other parents that are homeschooling and using Montessori.  I really want to exchange ideas and knowledge with someone.  You can message me on cafemom.  Thanks.

Antoinette Marie\
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)