Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How has PTSD changed your life the most?

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2007 at 10:44 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 296 Total Views

WOW  PTSD has really changed alone time for me. I don't mind so much if I am alone during the day but at night I am so fearful! The smallest noise and I jump out of my skin. Trusting people is also an issue. I have this small circle of friends and don't really go outside that circle for fear. Fear of what? Not quit sure. How bout you???
Liz

by on Jul. 10, 2007 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
webby0506
by Group Owner on Jul. 11, 2007 at 11:01 PM
Yes I am the same way night time is worse for me! I only have a couple of friends as well and have trouble reaching out to more..I am very jumpy in public as well though, Im constantly looking over my shoulder expecting my attacker to be around ready to try to kill me...I dont know that it ever gets better, mine sure hasnt although it hasnt been that long that Ive suffered from  PTSD. I just take it one day at a time and if I have to move the couch in front of the doors at night to help me sleep, I do so!!
busypddmom
by on Jul. 15, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Quoting webby0506:

Yes I am the same way night time is worse for me! I only have a couple of friends as well and have trouble reaching out to more..I am very jumpy in public as well though, Im constantly looking over my shoulder expecting my attacker to be around ready to try to kill me...I dont know that it ever gets better, mine sure hasnt although it hasnt been that long that Ive suffered from  PTSD. I just take it one day at a time and if I have to move the couch in front of the doors at night to help me sleep, I do so!!

I am all about blocking the doors at night too. I stoped doing it for longest time but last night there was an unexplained noise that even woke my husband up. And after looking around and finding nothing there I still could not shake this horrible feeling so I blocked the door with stool. First time in long time I have done that. I have had PTSD, diagnosed, since I was 19 and I am 32 now. It is something I just learn to live with. I find that the calmer my life is in general the more managable the PTSD is. Hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!
Liz
Gemini6878
by on Jul. 15, 2007 at 9:29 PM
I feel the same way.  I get jumpy at the slightest noise.  I told my husband that I love him but i can never fully trust him.  (I got diagnosed with PTSD before i met him)  I am just scared to go to many places and meet someone new cause I never know what will happen but I force myself out of my comfort zone to take the kids somewhere.  And even then I keep looking around cause you never know what will happen.  I even still have nightmares.

baby

baby

baby development

She lives with her Aunt that can help her with all the resources for CP in IN.

sassy71
by on Jul. 16, 2007 at 10:32 AM
 My PTSD is self DX'd, LOL. It's affected me to the point that I don't want to be aroung large numbers of people, loud noise bothers me, I need it quiet enough for me to be able to hear what is going on around me. I'm panicky in car's and my feelings have shut down, I don't feel normal and I don't think I even know how to interact with people. I am very clingy and needywhen I feel like I can trust u and don't take it well when I find out I can't.
busypddmom
by on Jul. 16, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Quoting Gemini6878:

I feel the same way.  I get jumpy at the slightest noise.  I told my husband that I love him but i can never fully trust him.  (I got diagnosed with PTSD before i met him)  I am just scared to go to many places and meet someone new cause I never know what will happen but I force myself out of my comfort zone to take the kids somewhere.  And even then I keep looking around cause you never know what will happen.  I even still have nightmares.

baby

baby

baby development

She lives with her Aunt that can help her with all the resources for CP in IN.

Yes meeting new people can be very challanging!!! Trust, I am afraid, will always be an issue for me. I am much much better almost different person than I was few years ago but it is still very hard. I have trouble with my identity outside of all my emotions. Rely on other people and what they think of me. Well I did...I have really being making an effort to get to know me lately. To stop being so scared of everything. But as you know, it's easier said than done.
Hugz,
Liz
busypddmom
by on Jul. 16, 2007 at 9:01 PM

Quoting sassy71:

My PTSD is self DX'd, LOL. It's affected me to the point that I don't want to be aroung large numbers of people, loud noise bothers me, I need it quiet enough for me to be able to hear what is going on around me. I'm panicky in car's and my feelings have shut down, I don't feel normal and I don't think I even know how to interact with people. I am very clingy and needywhen I feel like I can trust u and don't take it well when I find out I can't.
I have a hard time w/ other people as well. I use to be very needy but have worked very hard not to be. OMG yes, trust....trust is so hard. Hang in there.
Hugz,
Liz

miander101
by New Member on Jul. 17, 2007 at 8:12 PM
This is a really hard question for me to answer, because it isn't one particular thing, it is so many.  I guess the most negative way that PTSD has changed my life is that I don't know how to interact with people face to face anymore.  For instance, I was at my husbands family reunion this weekend and I didn't hardly talk to ANYONE.  Not even people I knew.  I thought everyone was looking at me, talking negatively about me, etc. etc.  I was almost paralyzed with anxiety and had a break down by the end of it (thank goodness it was in private).  When those attacks happen, I try so hard ot get over it, to look strangers in the eyes and smile.  But really, I just try to avoid eye contact and tend to sit or stand rigid.  I must have looked like a freak.  I felt so badly about myself afterward and I tried to explain how I was feeling to my husband, but he just kept walking away with this shit look on his face.  He always makes me feel worse.  This anxiety has made it hard for me to be myself with people and I haven't been able to make any new friendships since.

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

http://lilypie.com"> src="http://b2.lilypie.com/3H3km7.png" alt="Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80">

busypddmom
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 9:14 PM

Quoting miander101:

This is a really hard question for me to answer, because it isn't one particular thing, it is so many.  I guess the most negative way that PTSD has changed my life is that I don't know how to interact with people face to face anymore.  For instance, I was at my husbands family reunion this weekend and I didn't hardly talk to ANYONE.  Not even people I knew.  I thought everyone was looking at me, talking negatively about me, etc. etc.  I was almost paralyzed with anxiety and had a break down by the end of it (thank goodness it was in private).  When those attacks happen, I try so hard ot get over it, to look strangers in the eyes and smile.  But really, I just try to avoid eye contact and tend to sit or stand rigid.  I must have looked like a freak.  I felt so badly about myself afterward and I tried to explain how I was feeling to my husband, but he just kept walking away with this shit look on his face.  He always makes me feel worse.  This anxiety has made it hard for me to be myself with people and I haven't been able to make any new friendships since.

http://lilypie.com"> src="http://b2.lilypie.com/3H3km7.png" alt="Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80">

HI...I also have a problem with the eye contact with someone. It's like they are talking and I am thinking the entire time "what r u thinking" back to the person talking. It's weird. Friendships are hard...I only have a few that I keep close too. Other's just seem to come and go...largely my fault for not reaching out. Hang in there!!
Hugz,
Liz

militarygirl83
by on Apr. 18, 2008 at 4:25 PM
VERY BIG DITTO!!!!!!
Quoting busypddmom:

Quoting miander101:

This is a really hard question for me to answer, because it isn't one particular thing, it is so many. I guess the most negative way that PTSD has changed my life is that I don't know how to interact with people face to face anymore. For instance, I was at my husbands family reunion this weekend and I didn't hardly talk to ANYONE. Not even people I knew. I thought everyone was looking at me, talking negatively about me, etc. etc. I was almost paralyzed with anxiety and had a break down by the end of it (thank goodness it was in private). When those attacks happen, I try so hard ot get over it, to look strangers in the eyes and smile. But really, I just try to avoid eye contact and tend to sit or stand rigid. I must have looked like a freak. I felt so badly about myself afterward and I tried to explain how I was feeling to my husband, but he just kept walking away with this shit look on his face. He always makes me feel worse. This anxiety has made it hard for me to be myself with people and I haven't been able to make any new friendships since.

HI...I also have a problem with the eye contact with someone. It's like they are talking and I am thinking the entire time "what r u thinking" back to the person talking. It's weird. Friendships are hard...I only have a few that I keep close too. Other's just seem to come and go...largely my fault for not reaching out. Hang in there!!
Hugz,
Liz

babysmama03
by on Jul. 27, 2008 at 6:37 PM

honestly I would love to say that I use to be this happy go lucky prep but I have had PTSD for so long I dont know any other life (since I was 8) and the time before that I odnt remember because that was when the reason for my PTSD happened. I do ttry to seem happy more then I use to but I think that is for my kids sake and noone elses but so is life I guess hope you all have a great day later

Life's little miracles are the best ones of all!

Save the earth its the only one with CHOCOLATE.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)