Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Everyone's quiet

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:40 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 249 Total Views

Any updates? Everyone's been very quiet.  Just drop a line even if things are pretty much the same.

Here's my update. Matt's still being tutored 1 hour a day...I asked school to increase to 2 hours and they called me and said they were concerned about the direction we were going in and wanted my husband and I to talk to a child psychologist of their choice that specializes in childhood anxieties.  I was in the process of writing a letter to the school superintendant because I found out that nobody is assessing Matt's work from his tutor.  The principal called and is working on it from her end.  Needless to say...they haven't called back to schedule the appointment.  I'd be happy to go and talk to him...can't hurt.  I don't want Matt to meet with their dr because he already has his own but I don't mind meeting with him.

We're still working on getting Matt back into school and back with his friends. 

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MomofMJN
by Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:12 AM

Good days (a lot of them this week) and bad days (hopefully behind us now) with my daughter.  Her med Dr. added an ADHD medication to the mix which my daughter is saying helps A LOT with her anxiety at school as she can now concentrate and isn't getting in trouble.  Hmmm...wish we had tried that one sooner.  My only concern is that they are going to want to try to get her off the anxiety med (Zoloft) again to see if the ADHD meds are enough - it was a disaster this last time.  But I know I am the mother and if the time comes I will push back.

School is still doing a pretty good job of ignoring me & my daughter - good and bad sides to that.  Right now I don't need anything and they aren't chasing us regarding her poor attendance so far this year - so I guess we're even.

Anyone else out there find that their children have any comorbidity issues with their anxious child?  It certainly makes it hard to keep them stable and it is so heart breaking to see them unbalanced at times.

That's our update !

readermomto4
by Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 9:21 PM

That's one of the difficulties of getting a diagnosis and then to treat these kids.  Matt has anxiety...however it is difficult to treat because he has a little ADHD, Agoraphobia, sepration anxiety, is afraid of fire and thunderstorms, strangers...possibly a little ocd.  It's not like his therapist is tretating only one illness...he's trying to deal with a multitude of issues.  Which medication did your dr. add.  Matt takes Rispideral...it has helped a ton.

MomofMJN
by Member on Dec. 19, 2008 at 11:35 AM

The ADHD med she has been prescribed is Concerta - it is long acting and she takes it in the AM to get thrugh the school day.  She started at 18 and was up'd to 36 to see if that makes it even easier.  She too seems to suffer from seperaton anxiey although that has gotten better over time but still seems to be there. 

Ttime
by Member on Dec. 20, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Still struggling, here.  No school at all, for weeks now.  BUT, we had a meeting last night with a woman (through the PINS program) that acts as a liason for us...she will hook us up with a child advocate, which will give us an added edge at school meetings & such.  They are also looking into other services that will help us navigate some alternatives, which may include more options for schooling services, other than a useless 504.  It will give us much more clout & more demands can be met, on our end.  I'm so happy for all this...it's about time.

The last few weeks have been very stressful, up until this meeting, which brought me some much needed encouragement.  My daughter's anxiety had increased since our last PINS meeting with her new probation officer.  The PO had basically "scared" my daughter in to the reality that family court would be next & she'd have to talk in front of everyone in court & that a judge might decide to send her for an out of home, evaluation for anywhere from 30-90 days, and that it would be far from home (but in state).  It struck me odd, that a child with anxiety should be given these sort of scare tactics...all  it did was increase her anxiety at night, especially and in general, she walked around worried, that she will be taken away, & soon.

Ironically, I just printed out a 10 page information sheet on comorbidity anxiety/depression, etc...I found it so interesting & I was planning to bring it to my next PINS meeting to help THEM, see how these symptoms are not that of a manipulative child, but a real & complex variety of symptoms & behaviors, that don't always respond to all diagnoses.... in fact, the article went on to say, that often, some treatment can make things worse, because of it's complexities and not really being able to hit the right mark.

I'm so tired, on every level, of fighting the school/PINS current.  I always feel I am fighting for my life, or that of my child...defending a very real illness, that they find to be, in short, oppositional behavior, for manipulation sake.     

Our doctor has my daughter on Depakote, Risperdal, & Buspar & now wants to introduce Lexapro.  Does this sound insane?  The first 3 have been in place for almost 18 months...doesn't it appear these are not doing a successful job??  I'm worried about what they could be doing to her.  If I saw better results, I could tolerate her being on them, but this just makes me question if we're doing the right thing for her.  

To be continued....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)