Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Old? & What Meds?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 472 Total Views

Hi, I have a son who is 6 soon to be 7 years old with Anxiety & OCD.  He doesn't take any medication now but I know he may need to in the future.  I have been discussing it with his psychologist I am just not sure if it is the right time yet.  So I was wondering how old your children were and at what age did they start taking medication for their anxiety.  That is if they take medication.  Also if they take medication how did you know it was the right time to start.  Any advice, input or personal experiences is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
4459j
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Age 6 for anxiety and OCD.  Prozac (fluoxetine) and later buspar.

For me there was no question when to start.  So many people want to jump on the "no meds" bandwagon and say that we don't have long term evidence of what happens when meds are started young - - true but we certainly know what happens when it goes untreated.  For us, that was not a risk I was willing to take.  Kids (as in peers) are pretty forgiving at a young age.  They don't notice the "issues."  But that quickly ends unfortunately.  Also OCD and anxiety certainly have a habitual component where those difficult experiences are hardcoded.  Meds can often make CBT possible where it wasn't before.   

Once we were "on the other side" where we could look at life before meds it was the right decision for us.  Having a psychiatrist that can empathize with how hard these choices are for parents and is willing to answer question after question was key to knowing when the time was right.   The gut has been helpful too :)

MomofMJN
by Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 7:54 PM

My daughter was 12 and it wasn't a question for us either....she was so unhappy and really couldn't function.  Of course her severe anxiety had a VERY quick onset .  I agree that a lot of anxiety becomes habit and even once the meds worked ( it did take almost a year to find the right one) - the habits then had to be broken for the full relief.

She is curretnly on Zoloft and a med for ADHD as she has that as well.  We tried a few others like Prozac but they did not work well for her.

Hope that helps .... 

mamamia3030
by Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Hello,

My daughter is 7, and she has been on Zoloft 25mg since January.  I am seeing tremendous improvements!  This time last year, I couldnt walk out of the room without her.  A few weeks ago, she stayed all night with a friend.  This was so HUGE to us!  We are very proud of the strides she is making. Like you, we hesitated for years (she has suffered with anxiety since birth) to put her on meds.  I finally couldnt handle it anymore. Just getting through everyday life was becoming unbearable, so we decided to give it a shot.  I haven't regretted it yet. Good luck in your decision!

MomofMJN
by Member on Jun. 11, 2009 at 12:06 PM

So glad to hear your success story.

Meds are a tough decision but I really haven't heard any regret stories to date.

jalex
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2009 at 6:04 PM

My son developed Anxiety at 7, he has been on paxil and it has changed our home life for the better!  My son would sit at the door while I peed and could not sit alone at all.  He was terrified in the woods with his DAD.  It was awful, broke my heart.  You have to look at the the side effects on not starting meds.  Good luck :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)