Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ask A Brit!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 10:10 PM
  • 19 Replies
  • 751 Total Views
Okay so there are at least 5 true blue Brits in the group, who I'm sure would love to answer our questions about their lovely island! *wink*  Do you wonder what it's like to live there?  Have any cultural questions?  Ask and you shall receive!

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
curlsanddimples
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 11:43 AM
Do you have a favorite traditional dish or recipe to make?  I made 'Toad in a hole' not too long ago as a side dish and my family loved it. 
steph21
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 2:16 PM

When eating out, I would order "bangers and mash" (sausages and mashed potatoes). My favorite sausages were the Pork & Leek. I would also order Hunter's Chicken, which can be made here in the States. You roast a breast of chicken with a slice of bacon wrapped round it, in the last 5 minutes of cooking, you top with a slice of swiss cheese. Serve it up with mash, peas, carrots and BBQ sauce for dipping the chicken in. LUUVely!

curlsanddimples
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Quoting steph21:

When eating out, I would order "bangers and mash" (sausages and mashed potatoes). My favorite sausages were the Pork & Leek. I would also order Hunter's Chicken, which can be made here in the States. You roast a breast of chicken with a slice of bacon wrapped round it, in the last 5 minutes of cooking, you top with a slice of swiss cheese. Serve it up with mash, peas, carrots and BBQ sauce for dipping the chicken in. LUUVely!

yum!!
Rocket77
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2007 at 1:02 AM
ok, this has been bothering me for a while.  i have even asked a few brits, and none can give me a for-sure answer.  everyine has been a little wishy-washy on it.  here it is:  what is with the wearing of the crowns on x-mas?  i understand that they are often part of "crackers" that 2 people pull apart and such, but why crowns?
Just_Bethy
by Member on Aug. 2, 2007 at 1:06 AM

Quoting Rocket77:

ok, this has been bothering me for a while.  i have even asked a few brits, and none can give me a for-sure answer.  everyine has been a little wishy-washy on it.  here it is:  what is with the wearing of the crowns on x-mas?  i understand that they are often part of "crackers" that 2 people pull apart and such, but why crowns?
I import crackers for christmas and Yep we wear the crowns..My hubby just stares at me when I make him put his on..Its hilarious..its tradition..its soooo very British and ..no..I haven't a clue why either...LMAO

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.
Just_Bethy
by Member on Aug. 2, 2007 at 1:09 AM
One of my fave traditions that will interest you as mums ..and I still do it even now..When you first meet a newborn baby..under say 3 months or so..is to press a silver coin into his/her hand...the parent then keeps the coin..Its to protect the baby from being stolen by gypsies..(Some say faeries)..I still have the coin I was "blessed" with..Parents don't usually do this for their own child for some reason though...usually an aquantince or friend.

Rocket77
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2007 at 1:13 AM

Quoting Just_Bethy:

Quoting Rocket77:

ok, this has been bothering me for a while. i have even asked a few brits, and none can give me a for-sure answer. everyine has been a little wishy-washy on it. here it is: what is with the wearing of the crowns on x-mas? i understand that they are often part of "crackers" that 2 people pull apart and such, but why crowns?
I import crackers for christmas and Yep we wear the crowns..My hubby just stares at me when I make him put his on..Its hilarious..its tradition..its soooo very British and ..no..I haven't a clue why either...LMAO

i love your avatar.  he is dead sexy and (oh..dead.  well, that's not right.)  well, sexy anyway and they couldn't have gotten a better sirius.  he's my fave.  even my black dog's bame is sirius!

madhouseof5
by Member on Aug. 2, 2007 at 6:50 PM

Quoting Just_Bethy:

One of my fave traditions that will interest you as mums ..and I still do it even now..When you first meet a newborn baby..under say 3 months or so..is to press a silver coin into his/her hand...the parent then keeps the coin..Its to protect the baby from being stolen by gypsies..(Some say faeries)..I still have the coin I was "blessed" with..Parents don't usually do this for their own child for some reason though...usually an aquantince or friend.

ha true blue Brit here and have had this done with my children

thought it was just for luck LOL Never know it was anything to to with gypsies or fairs LOL

madhouseof5
by Member on Aug. 2, 2007 at 6:56 PM

Quoting curlsanddimples:

Do you have a favorite traditional dish or recipe to make?  I made 'Toad in a hole' not too long ago as a side dish and my family loved it. 

as a side dish? Its a main meal here
sausages with batter or proper name Yorkshire Pudding mix

4oz SR Flour
half pint milk
1 egg

mixed together to make a smooth mix
pour over precooked sausages in a deep baking tray
the fat must be very hot cook for 40 mins gas 7

line the tin with foil to stop it sticking

Serve with mash potatoes and any veg you like and lots of gravy
curlsanddimples
by on Aug. 2, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Quoting madhouseof5:

Quoting curlsanddimples:

as a side dish? Its a main meal here
sausages with batter or proper name Yorkshire Pudding mix

4oz SR Flour
half pint milk
1 egg

mixed together to make a smooth mix
pour over precooked sausages in a deep baking tray
the fat must be very hot cook for 40 mins gas 7

line the tin with foil to stop it sticking

Serve with mash potatoes and any veg you like and lots of gravy

I used as a side dish because I only made a small portion.  I was afraid no one would like it.....but alas I was wrong,  everyone loved it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)