Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introduce Yourself!

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 5:50 PM
  • 140 Replies
  • 2127 Total Views

Hi!

I'm Kristy and I have 2 children.  My daughter Haylee turned 5 in April and will be attending all day kindergarten this fall.  She's really excited about going to real school and I'm excited for her, although the thought of "letting go" is hard.

She attended preschool this past school year and by half way through the year she was bored with it, so I'm hoping that doesn't happen with Kindergarten.

She had kindergarten registration in February and her testing in March.  Around the first week of August I will be getting a letter letting us know the name of her teacher and when Orientation is.  Orientation is usually 7-10 days before school starts.  They get to meet their teacher and take a ride on the school bus... she's really looking forward to that.

Our school's first day is August 29th.

by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melmonster
by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 6:01 PM
hi, Melanie here...Mumma to Brendan, born 8-22-2002 He had 1 year of preschool at St. Bridget's this past year and next year is going to the public preschool. He makes the cut off by a mere 8 days. I hemmed and hawed over sending him vs. waiting a year because so many around here wait so he'll be the baby. He's so smart and doing so much more than the preschool was because of his curiosity and what I was doing with him at home that I decided to send him. I don't want him to get bored. He is already excited to go and I am too. I am nervous about security. We live in a safe area and the school is great but every time I see a shooting on the news or another repost about pedophiles I freak! may need to medicate me for the first week! Lol!
aimboats
by Member on Jul. 6, 2007 at 6:06 PM
My name is Aimee and my son Bode will be 5 in a couple of weeks and will be starting full-day K in Sept.  He has unfortunately had a lot of experience, being in daycare until he was 2, then preschool from age 2-5.  But I'm single so that's the way it is.

I'm glad this Board is here.  I had nowhere to go because I belong to a Preschooler Board but he will no longer be in Preschool.  And I'm noticing most of the posts he is past those stages and onto other ones.  I am very active on my Boards and ask and answer many questions!  I work full-time but have my own office so am basically on cafemom every day.  I've been on this site since inception, coming over from clubmom.  And am so grateful for it!  I've met the neatest friends here who have helped me thru scary and sad and confusing times :)
iluvmy4grls
by Member on Jul. 6, 2007 at 6:31 PM
Hi
I am Rashelle and Mom to Hailey 2-18-02.
She went to preschool last year and loved it and can not wait to start school in august. she asks me every single day if she gets to go to school yet. I can't wait for her to go but i am sad that she is going as my first born it's hard seeing them grow up so fast. where did the time go?
We registered for school in april and we will do the testing in august right before school starts.  we don't do full day yet but i am sure that by the time my next daughter goes, we will. some schools around her are trying it out.

Rashelle
Mom to Hailey 2-18-02
Emily 10-24-03
Abby 03-31-05
Maggie 05-03-07
kad_m2
by Member on Jul. 6, 2007 at 7:10 PM
hello my name is kerryann and roshaune was born apr 11 04. he will be starting school september. i realize that your kids start school at 5yrs but here in jamaica our school sytem is different we start from age 3 and not 5 then on to primary(elementary) at 6 then high school at 12 and graduate by the time your 16/17.
anyways yesterday we had orientation so we went and met the teacher and filled out paper works.
i got booklist, rule and things like that

KristyB
by Group Owner on Jul. 6, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Quoting kad_m2:

hello my name is kerryann and roshaune was born apr 11 04. he will be starting school september. i realize that your kids start school at 5yrs but here in jamaica our school sytem is different we start from age 3 and not 5 then on to primary(elementary) at 6 then high school at 12 and graduate by the time your 16/17.
anyways yesterday we had orientation so we went and met the teacher and filled out paper works.
i got booklist, rule and things like that

Hi Kerryann!

Wow!  I never knew that about the Jamaican school system!  Thanks for the interesting information!
wvmommyofthree
by New Member on Jul. 6, 2007 at 7:44 PM
Hi!! I'm Becky!!!!!!!

I'm also the mother of a child getting ready to enter Kindergarten!!!!!!!! I have two older children (step-children, Brittany, 17, who will be a senior, and Brandon, 16, who will be a sophomore). Although they are older, I never got to experience the Kindergarten thing with them. (I got them when Brittany was in 3rd grade and Brandon was in 1st grade). I'm excited for our little girl, Kiteara, but nervous for her as well. I can't help but think about all of the things that can happen in Kindergarten. Will the other kids like her? Will she talk too much? Will she get in trouble for saying or singing (she listens to the hip-hop stuff with her sister) something she shouldn't? Will she give the kids in her class sex education (she knows quite a bit because of the two older kids)? The list could go on and on and on!!!!!!!!!

Kiteara only went to preschool for three days when she was three (she cried and I cried--so I took her back to stay through the day with her grandmother). But I know she's matured (maybe a little too much) since then. Just this past Sunday at church, she asked me if she could take her Communion with her friends. I was a little disappointed because she and I always take our Communion together and she says a prayer for both of us, but I was also a little relieved as I got to say a prayer and talk to God by myself without having to Bless everyone in the world by name.

Anyway, thanks for letting me be a part of this group!!! I always try to get on the computer a few times a day!!! Hopefully we can chat!!!

Becky
KristyB
by Group Owner on Jul. 6, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Quoting wvmommyofthree:

Just this past Sunday at church, she asked me if she could take her Communion with her friends. I was a little disappointed because she and I always take our Communion together and she says a prayer for both of us, but I was also a little relieved as I got to say a prayer and talk to God by myself without having to Bless everyone in the world by name.

That is too cute!
strawbearbrite
by New Member on Jul. 6, 2007 at 8:55 PM
My name is Crystal and I am a mother of 5. I will have 2 in school this year. Chell has had preschool and is looking forward to being there all day long like her older sister. They start either the end of July or the begining of August!! Cant wait to talk again.
KristyB
by Group Owner on Jul. 6, 2007 at 8:57 PM

Quoting strawbearbrite:

My name is Crystal and I am a mother of 5. I will have 2 in school this year. Chell has had preschool and is looking forward to being there all day long like her older sister. They start either the end of July or the begining of August!! Cant wait to talk again.
Wow!  That sounds really early to me!  I believe the earliest our school district ever started was around the 25 of August.  This year we are starting on the 29th.  I know that every state is different though...  What month does your school year end?
MomToMags
by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 9:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm Karen - mom to Maggie who will be starting Kindergarten in August.  I am a single mom so she is very familiar with daycare.  I've been very very pleased with the care and education she has received - let's hope that keeps up in private school.

I look forward to discussing this with all of you!

Karen
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN