Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Suggestions

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 11:11 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 345 Total Views
Hello Everyone!

This year my little boy starts Kindergarden, he so excited and wants to start school tomorrow, LOL but he starts August the 7. I'm so excited for him, but it will be hard not having him around every time, sure will miss him a whole love.

Anyway, I was wondering about the assessment they get before kids start kindergarden, anyone has any idea, sure do appreciate it.

Thanks

Me
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KristyB
by Group Owner on Jul. 14, 2007 at 11:18 PM
My daughter had her testing in May.  Our school uses the Gisell test.

They asked Haylee to write her name.  They asked her when her birthday is.  They asked her to write a few numbers.  They asked her where her Mommy and Daddy work.  They asked her if she had any brothers or sisters.  She has a brother, so they asked her his name and age.  They gave her a picture of a half drawn face and asked her to complete it. 

Then the teacher did this little exercise with her....

He took a few small square blocks and bult something with it.  Then he gave her the blocks and asked her to replicate it. Each time she did, he would build something else a little harder and ask her to replicate it again.  The idea of this exercise was not to see how well she could replicate the building, but how she reacted if she couldn't.  They wanted to see if she was able to handle not being able to do something or if she would get upset and cry or throw a tantrum.

The teacher also asked her to name as many animals as possible until he told her to stop.  He was timing her (1 minute) to see how many different animals she could think of.

There may have been more, but I don't remember it all.  If I think of anything else, I'll let you know!
Trikel
by New Member on Jul. 14, 2007 at 11:41 PM
Thank you very much... that was very kind of you to reply so quickly, I've been working with my five year old with his ABC and Numbers, but wasn't sure what kind of things they would ask him, so got me a little worried. .. now I can work with him with the ideas you gave from some questions they gave your daughter.. I'll let you know how it went, once he does his assessment.

Once again I appreciate it.

Thank You

Me
KristyB
by Group Owner on Jul. 14, 2007 at 11:46 PM
Your welcome!

Just remember, it's not really a test, but more of an assessment.  I know that our school wasn't really looking to see what the kids know...  They wanted to see how mature they were and there temperment.
MomToMags
by on Jul. 15, 2007 at 7:02 PM
I'm in Houston and there were NO assessments given.  I went and registered her when she wasn't even with me.

Have a great day!
Karen
KristyB
by Group Owner on Jul. 15, 2007 at 7:18 PM
Here in PA, even though they offer the testing, it is not manditory to start school.  If your child is 5 by August 31st you can send them and there is nothing the school can do to keep them out.

Even though the test is not manditory, the school suggests having it done just to get feedback from the teachers about where your child is developmentally.  Even if they don't "pass" the assessment you can send them.  I had Haylee tested just to see how well she would do and they said she was ready to start anyway, so it worked out good.
lapayasa
by Member on Jul. 19, 2007 at 11:04 PM
Here in Indiana it depends on the district. Since some district will take early enrollments but they have to be test before they will accept them. Also we have english as a second language testing in the summer
fire123
by on Jul. 20, 2007 at 1:36 AM

In my area of Tennessee there is no testing for kids that were not in Head Start.  The second week of school they do tests on hearing and speech though for all new students in each grade and for all Kindergarteners. 

MamaLori
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 2:27 AM
I'm in PA and we had my daughters assessment when we registered in March.She had to write her full name,say her address and phone number,they had her identify the basic shapes and colors,she had to count to at least 20 and see how many upper and lower case letters she could recognize (and if they knew most of the letters they also had them try to identify some of the sight words.)They also had her tie her shoes and tested her eyes and hearing.

She didn't have to "pass" to enter school though,it was mainly to see where she was.After the assessment we got a paper showing how she did and what she needed to work on over the summer.
Elizabeth4980
by on Aug. 12, 2007 at 3:55 AM
Our school does the assesment at age 3-1/2 so that they can spot the kids that may have some kind of special needs and get them help early.

***Elizabeth***

Mama to Mitchell, Henry, and Violet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)