Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Full Day kindergarten

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:03 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 327 Total Views

JUST WONDERED HOW EVERYONE FEELS ABOUT THE SCHOOLS CHANGING TO FULL DAY KINDERGARTEN?

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lapayasa
by Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:25 PM
I personal like the idea. But there are pros and cons to it. Some kids at the age can not handle a all day program. I feel the schools should offer an alternatives. Such as if the child is a constant disciplinary problem put them on half days. Also, I think they should work with the children more concerning the lunch rooms and procedures. Some kids have a very hard time sitting and eating lunch. they would rather play.

MomToMags
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:26 PM
Here in Houston, it's been full day for as long as I can remember.  I've had my DD in daycare since I have to work, so it's not as much of an adjustment for me.  I am excited for her to go but afraid of the bad things she'll pick up.

K
KristyB
by Group Owner on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:01 PM

This will be the 5th school year that kindergarten has been full day here.  I don't mind it.  My daughter is very outgoing and has to be doing something at all times.  She's really excited and looking forward to it.

PeruMama
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 8:24 AM
I too, am looking forward to all day kindergarten.  I used to have the kids in day care.  Just this past year I started staying home.  So Matt will be used to the long day.  I just can't wait to have a little bit of a break, and I think it will be good for him to be actively engaged in something all day instead of whining to me about wanting to watch cartoons!  (he is a tv-a-holic)  haha.
MamaLori
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 2:14 AM
We ( PTA) have been begging our school board for 2 years to start a full day program.Our teachers are for it,our administrators are for it ,97% of the parents are for it,but our school board still says no! We have shown them that it is more cost effective.We have shown them repeated studies showing the benefits but the exact words that one memeber said to me at the last board meeting was that "5 yr old children belong at home with their mothers,not in school anyway" and another said that "full day kinder is nothing more than glorified daycare"  The job of a board member does not include telling me how to parent my child.With No Child Left Behind kids need every chance they can get to get ahead. PSSA testing starts in 3rd grade here,why wait until the year before to prepare? Please tell me how they can teach a child what they are supposed to know in just under 4 hours of instruction time a day?

The thing that I am finding is that those that are against full day are usually against it because they don't feel that a 5 yr old should be in school for 7-8 hours.But you don't have to send your kids at 5 or even at 6 for that matter.Hold them back until you feel they are ready. I live in PA-here you don't have to have your kids in school until they are 8 and even then kindergarten is not required.You can send them straight to first grade.

Sorry this is a hot button for me.For those that are against it though-I would like to hear the reasons why.
marika
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 8:53 AM
Hi, I believe full day kindergarten is not a bad idea because wasn't kindergarten supposed to be pre or beginning of an education for young kids? I also think the teachers are aware and know how to handle kids having problems coping with full day school. So, i believe that 5 year old should be able to stay and study/play at school for all day. (Note: this is MY opinion...) Thank you!
fire123
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:41 PM

Since my two oldest started Kindergarten in 2001-2002 its always been Full Day Kindergarten.  I never had to experience half-day Kindergarten cept for when I was a kid.

Pinksmith
by Member on Jul. 29, 2007 at 5:53 PM
Here in Washington state, most of the schools have half day kinder. However, my son's school has a different program. They have 2 full day weeks. They either go Mon & Thurs and some Wed, or Tues & Fri and some Wed. It'll be interesting to see how that works out. There's no continuity to get the kids ready for a full day of 1st grade.
KristyB
by Group Owner on Aug. 4, 2007 at 10:20 PM
As I said earlier in this post, our school does have all day kindergarten. But, they also offer half day kindergarten.  What they do is this....

The bus picks up all the kids in the morning regardless if the kids go half day or all day.  The kids spend the first half of their day doing all their learning stuff and crafts.  At lunch time, the half day kids are done for the day, but the school does not provide their transportation home.  If a child goes half the day, the parents must provide their ride home.  The second half of the day includes lunch, playtime and going over what they learned the first half of the day.  Also, any holiday parties or birthday parties are during this time.  So, the half day kids miss out on all the fun.  The school does provide transportation home for the full day kids.

Almost all the kids are full day now, but their are still a few parents who choose to only send their kid half a day.  I have no problem with that as long as the kids don't mind.  I just think it's sad they have to miss out on all the fun things that made me love school.
wyattabigailmom
by Member on Aug. 4, 2007 at 11:51 PM
We will be doing full day also, but my nephew who lives in VA only did half day last year.  I am not sure which I like better, but I think why not just have half if you cut out nap time, lunch time there you go half day.  I think though for all the parents who work it is easier because daycares who pick up may not pick up twice a day, I don't know cause I don't work so anytime they let him out would be fine with me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)