Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you know if there sick or not?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:44 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 209 Total Views

So it seems to be something that has happen a few times now since my son started 1st grade. He tells me my stomach hurts and I don't think I should go to school. So he tells me this in the morning when I'm getting him ready and I figured he was hungry because he needed to eat breakfast. Well, I'm going to drop him off at school just before he has to get out he tells me I have a fever, he didn't even know what a fever is because I asked him. So I felt his head and he wasn't hot. I told him if he gets sick at school then they'll call me. Was that mean of me to make him go anyways? I figured he has two weeks off starting next week and needed to go to school. But I feel bad because in kindergarten he threw up all over the table and that time he didn't tell me he was sick. Now I have to sit and worry that it might happen again. How do you know if they are telling the truth or faking it?

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
almemoore
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 6:13 AM

If he is telling you his stomach hurts and it is happening more and more, there may be something wrong.  Not with his stomach but at school, or elsewhere.  I personally had that happen to me twice in my life where I thought I was truly sick, but it was linked to my emotions.  The first time I was in 5th grade and it happened the entire summer.  We were moving from the only home I had ever known.  I ended up moving into my two younger sisters' bedroom until we moved and I would only do things at home, I wouldn't stay at friend's houses or at my grandparents'. The second time, I was an adult and even went to the dr...it was the summer of my wedding...I was 21, I was moving out of my parent's house for the first time and I was getting married.  My doctor told me it was both nerves, and stress and they truly do cause physical symptoms (slightly unheard of 10 years ago but very common now!) Ok...I went a little off of your question, but I wanted to let you know that he may be sick, but also that something may be bothering him, especially if he is on the quiet side, and holds things in.  I feel bad that he threw up at school last year, I know that is devastating for kids, but if he is sick in a physical way, the teachers will let you know.  I would just talk with him this weekend...I don't know about you but today will probably be our last day until January (we are getting a HUGE storm tonight and school will probably be closed tomorrow) WIth Tristan, he does better with talking when I tuck him in and we have a little bit of quiet time just him and I to talk...or he also talks to my mom, but sometimes gives restrictions to "not tell mom " but if she thinks it is worth me knowing she tells me, but lets me know that I'm not supposed to know.  Now that I have wrote you a novel...if you want to chat let me know.  You are not a bad mom for sending him to school, I would have done the same thing. :-) ~Angie

Angie Moore
Independent Mary Kay Beauty Consultant
There is STILL time to shop for Christmas! I offer FREE gift wrapping and FREE shipping too! Visit my website:
www.marykay.com/almoore

Deb79
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:05 PM

how sad that this might be the case with him. The first thing he says when he gets home is the kids were mean to me. He told me he only has three friends and that this one kid keeps pushing him and calling him names. I talked to his teacher about this one boy gave him his name but he just doesn't seem to think it's a big deal. His teacher just said that he will watch it, and that he already talked to the two boys about this. But it makes me so sad that he is getting sick from nervous and because the kids are rude and call him names. I tell him it doesn't matter what they say. But I think I will talk to him tonight before bed about school.

Quoting almemoore:

If he is telling you his stomach hurts and it is happening more and more, there may be something wrong.  Not with his stomach but at school, or elsewhere.  I personally had that happen to me twice in my life where I thought I was truly sick, but it was linked to my emotions.  The first time I was in 5th grade and it happened the entire summer.  We were moving from the only home I had ever known.  I ended up moving into my two younger sisters' bedroom until we moved and I would only do things at home, I wouldn't stay at friend's houses or at my grandparents'. The second time, I was an adult and even went to the dr...it was the summer of my wedding...I was 21, I was moving out of my parent's house for the first time and I was getting married.  My doctor told me it was both nerves, and stress and they truly do cause physical symptoms (slightly unheard of 10 years ago but very common now!) Ok...I went a little off of your question, but I wanted to let you know that he may be sick, but also that something may be bothering him, especially if he is on the quiet side, and holds things in.  I feel bad that he threw up at school last year, I know that is devastating for kids, but if he is sick in a physical way, the teachers will let you know.  I would just talk with him this weekend...I don't know about you but today will probably be our last day until January (we are getting a HUGE storm tonight and school will probably be closed tomorrow) WIth Tristan, he does better with talking when I tuck him in and we have a little bit of quiet time just him and I to talk...or he also talks to my mom, but sometimes gives restrictions to "not tell mom " but if she thinks it is worth me knowing she tells me, but lets me know that I'm not supposed to know.  Now that I have wrote you a novel...if you want to chat let me know.  You are not a bad mom for sending him to school, I would have done the same thing. :-) ~Angie

almemoore
by on Dec. 23, 2008 at 9:09 PM

sorry I didn't see your reply sooner! I'm so sorry that he is going through all of that! :-( Tristan's school has a zero bullying policy and I think that it really has helped! They just started it this year and both the kids and the parents went through "training" on it.  Anyway...maybe being on Christmas break will give your son an emotional break, and things will cool down by the time school goes back. :-) You were right to go to the teacher about it and hopefully you won't have to go above him...but if you feel you have to then do it! Take care! Merry Christmas! :-)

Angie Moore
Independent Mary Kay Beauty Consultant
Visit my website and do a virtual makeover! It is FREE!
www.marykay.com/almoore

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)