Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our First Class Project

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:23 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 209 Total Views

So Thursday his teacher sent home a note-"It's family project time" so the parents are expected to help the child do a good job.

Truthfully I am excited about it big smile mini.  They are learning about Habitats and they were all randomly assigned a type of habitat: Ocean Life, Rain Forest, Pond Life, Rivers these are the ones he told me.  We got Ocean Life he said it was the one he wanted, so even though they were given 2min to change with a friend he didn't!

It is Due Feb 5th, and is gonna be given 2 seperate grades.  They will have to stand in front of the class and give a little presentation about it.  We have been brainstorming since Thursday afternoon.  I think he couldn't have gotten a better one since we go to the beach every summer and he has been 5 times. 

This is my ideas so far-Shoe box or small box; sand paper, blue tissue paper for water.  then we have some different shells-Sand dollar and Scallop, also he has little plastic figures of a blue whale and sea turtle.  You need to label the items in the box-woohoo excuse to use the label maker and give some info on each.  So I know some things already (like the blue whale is the largest animal they are even bigger than dinosaurs) but we are gonna Google some more stuff:)

We are also getting some ocean facts (like the Pacific contains more water than all the other oceans and seas combined) we are also open to any cool ideas you have:)

I told him he can write stuff on cards so he can remember when he is talking to his class-Yep I am out to impress his teacher, but he is also so excited about this not the bit nervous about getting in front of the class to talk, FYI I HATE public speaking and HATED my speach class in college!

So anyone else getting projects in the 1st grade??

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Elizabeth4980
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Yes, we just got the instruction sheet for the science fair project (required).  It is an assignment for the kids though, not a family project.  Our school doesn't do family projects.  They really want the kids to do all the work and parents just to provide rides to the library, to the store to get supplies, etc.  They aren't expecting perfection, it is meant to be an independent learning experience for the kids.  I have had to keep my husband back a little because he is almost as excited about it as my son and keeps trying to help and guide him (a.k.a. take over) instead of letting him do it himself.  Mitch has decided to learn about electromagnets and to build an electromagnet buzzer that he found in a science project book.  I'll post pics when he's done :-)

wyattabigailmom
by Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Well I think it is great that she expects the parents to help with the project, obviously she doesn't mean the parent do it, and she doesn't expect perfection!

I know for a fact that not enough parents are involved with their kids schooling, I think it is VERY important that the parent is involved in what goes on with them.  I see it all the time with kids in his class that the parent doesn't seem to care enough.  Anything from checking homework to returning my phone call when I call and ask if they can do something little for a christmas party for their childs class.

ldmrmom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:16 AM

I agree Wyattabigailmom. It's sad to see how many families don't take an active role in their child's education. Looking at my son's class, the impact is pretty clear. It's also always pretty clear over which parents take on the project as their own personal task - that impact is clear too. LOL! :) The balance, though, is an amazing gift for our students!

Logan's not had a big project yet this year, but he had several last year in Kindergarten. It's always neat to see the little wheels turning and their excitement over the collaborative effort. We talk about various ideas leaving him with final say on what we'll do. Then let him take over direction of the project. We're simply his unpaid grunt work force - although typically he gets his hands into more than he deligates. :) 

I think it's great your son is not rattled by speaking in front of his class. It can be a hard thing to do at any age but if having the chance to hone the skill while young can go a long way in building confidence in the adult public speaker.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)