Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you feel about schools?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 3:39 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 255 Total Views

Two questions I am posing for a college course on home-school relations:

What are your thoughts on parent-teacher conferences? Do you find that you get what you need from them?

What is your perspective on local schools/teachers? Are they keeping up with challenges such as amount of ESL students?

Any other thoughts you'd like to get out there?

Everything will be anonymous, and please, feel free to repsond even if your answers are short.  I appreciate any responses! :)

by on Mar. 4, 2009 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
wyattabigailmom
by Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 12:02 PM

As far as parent/teacher conferences I would have to say "I don't know" becaue even though he is in 1st grade we have never had one.  His teacher last year and this year has always wrote one was not needed.  I need to add though he is a very good student that does not get it any trouble and makes good grades, I am also in his classroom fairly regularly helping out so if there are any problems we could talk then.

I am not sure was ESL students are.

I have only had experience with my school for 2yrs and have been very pleased with what my son has learned and how well they have taught him and made it  a very fun active environment. 

I think schools should be more about the children having fun while learning not being treated like little soldiers, I know for a fact my son loves his school because the environment.   they treat the kids to rewards for good behavior with things like movie/popcorn day or magic shows or fun little dances, they do this once every six weeks for children with less than a certain number of bad behavior marks.  They are aloud party days, field trips and other fun activities.  They always have something going on there.

Also I think parent envolvement is crucial, parents need to be in the loop with what is going on with their child at school, you need to develop a relationship with the teacher and staff at the school.  I know alot of the staff at my son's school and they know him.  I can see the principle in car rider line and he will always say something pleasant about my son-and that means alot to me that he knows my child specifically out of the nermous children at the school

BrandiiL
by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Thank you for replying! :)

BrandiiL
by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 1:33 PM

oh, sorry, ESL students are English Language Learners. Sorry, I originally put this post in a group from my area, so they'd have known.

JudyMarie
by New Member on Mar. 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM

So far, I really like the school my twins attend. They are in Kindergarten.  Its a fairly small town, so I feel like everything is on a very personal basis.  I have had several parent/teacher conferences, can E mail the teachers with any questions/concerns I have, and also have called them.  They have even called me to chat and there was no real "problem" to talk about, just progress type talks.  We communicate very well. Bottom line... I like our school!

wyattabigailmom
by Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Quoting BrandiiL:

oh, sorry, ESL students are English Language Learners. Sorry, I originally put this post in a group from my area, so they'd have known.

K

well I know my son had 3 students in his class last year that did not speak english when school started.  They have a teacher for this at his school and those students saw her everyday.  They seemed to do very well and picked up the language quickly. I don't know eactly how far into the school year it was though but I was in there wuite frequently.

One of them is in his class this year and is a good student and she speaks well.  I am not sure if they are still seeing the teacher or not.

Elizabeth4980
by on Apr. 1, 2009 at 12:58 AM

If conferences were my only avenue of communication with the teacher then I would say, no i don't get what i need out of them, but i talk with my son's teacher frequently and email her so conferences are just another quick update.  the overall communication is phenomenal.

there are no ESL students at my son's school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)