Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what books?

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 12:40 PM
  • 19 Replies
  • 408 Total Views

So I was wondering what are some of your  kids fav books to read or what are they working on reading by themselves? My son joined the book club at school and he'll be going every Tuesday and Wednesday and he has to bring his own book. I was just thinking this would be a good time to add a few more books to his collection. I'm not really sure what to get though. His favorites right now are   the cat in the hat , ten apples up on top, green eggs and ham, Danny and the dinosaur  etc...  I think he needs a few more books that are going to be just a little bit more challenging for him to read. Anyone have any suggestions?

by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ldmrmom
by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 1:33 PM

My first grader LOVES the Magic Tree House series of books - it's a series of chapter books that incorporates history and science. I'd pin them at advanced beginner to confident young reader.

He's also a big fan of Jigsaw Jones Mysteries - it's another series of chapter books for young readers.

Depending on how confident he is in his reading, check out the Step into Reading books. Logan likes the Level 4 and 5 books now, but he found lots he enjoyed in the earlier stages too when he was first reading. 

When he's really comfortable with chapter books, check out the Carol Marsh mysteries. We just started in on one of those. My son still reads with us at night at bed time- only now he reads *to us* instead of us reading to him.  The Carol Marsh books are a little advanced. Based on the feedback printed at teh back of the novels, I'd say the average reader is typically 9yrs and up.  They do tag a dozen or so "SAT vocab words" in each book which are printed in bold and defined in a glossary at the back.  When DS reads them, we do have to sometimes stop and look up the words or define other words for him. Personally, I think this is a great thing - it's expanding his vocab. Content of the books has been fine for my 6 yr old.

Mimomof3boys
by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 10:25 PM

My first grader is about finished with the Majic Tree House Series. He loves them.

He also loves Jigsaw Jones (and has read quite a few of them)

Elizabeth4980
by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 3:10 AM

My son really enjoys Nate the Great books - they were a good next step after the Dr. Seuss type stuff - longer and more interesting, but still mostly words that were fairly phonetic so he was able to read it independently without much stumbling.  He also loves the non-fiction readers.

Liz

CourtneyB1
by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 8:45 AM

My daughter loves to read!  And I love that about her.  She reads lots of different books like the Junie B. collection, Diary of a Wimpy Kids,  and of we did all of the Stage readers in the beginning...she is past those now though. 

wyattabigailmom
by Member on Apr. 19, 2009 at 6:18 PM

The Magic Tree house books are great and my son loves them.  Also the Junie B Jones books are funny.

Both are recommended by his teacher

hazeleyzmama
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 6:55 PM

junie b all the way. i just bought her the toothless wonder junie b book because she lost her tooth too. she loves it. mouse paint. and frog and toad. and song books. i could go on forever

momtoonecuteboy
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Magic Tree house, Junie B Jones, Jigsaw Jones and Captain Underpants.  His favorite book is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  He read it in school and has read it again at home.  He said the book was much better than the movie.lol 

Coleopterra
by New Member on Apr. 28, 2009 at 2:00 PM

My little man loves to read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and Shiver Me Letters, a Pirate ABC.

griaane
by on May. 4, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Ivory has currently started the Harry Potter series. She is almost finished with the first book and getting ready to start the second. She loves chapter books and the baby sisters club. After each chapter we make her tell us what happened in the chapter. She is pretty advance in her reading and just loves to read. She will pick a book over any video game!

baby boytoddler girlteen girl

Mother to 3- Bradley 4/9/09, Sara 11/13/03, Ivory 2/13/02

MyBoysRock000
by New Member on May. 4, 2009 at 6:42 PM

If your son is "all boy" like mine are, he'll appreciate the grossness of "Rotten Ralph" books.  They aren't too long (like chapter books) and make my sons laugh! They are kinda silly, I think in one book Ralph actually throws up....but boys like that kind of stuff so if it interests them to read, I'm ok with it!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)