Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Strawberries..........the magick and mundane

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:43 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 474 Total Views

Strawberries..........the magick and mundane

©KMiller

Strawberry season is almost upon us here in Michigan.  I cannot wait :).  We have been eating strawberries here and there from Florida and other southern states but fresh and local is always better.  I have been getting ready to make strawberry jam jarred and frozen as well! 

My husband and myself deal with gout and auto immune joint issues and I have been reading up on natural ways to treat these issues.  I had no idea the health benefits of the humble strawberry!  Im excited to think I could eat strawberry shortcake more often and not feel so guilty :). 

In addition to anti-oxidants, strawberries can be used to help fight, treat and even prevent many diseases.

The potassium found in strawberries help maintain our eyes, help with high blood pressure.

The fiber, vitamin C and vitamin B also help with heart health!  

Arthritis and Gout can be helped by strawberries as well!  Gout which is a build up of uric acid in the joints, and arthritis, that effects the joints, muscles and other tissues both benefit from strawberries! 

Eating strawberries several times a week, having as healthy lifestyle with exercise and non smoking can help with lowering the "bad levels of LDL bad cholesterol". 

The bottom line is that not only are strawberries delish, there are so many health benefits I for one am adding them to my diet several times a week!

Of course for those of us who are interested we cant forget the Magickal Uses of Strawberries!

Planet: Venus

Element: Water

Deity: Freya

Powers: Love and Luck

Magickal Uses: Strawberries are often served as a love food.  Strawberry leaf is used to attract success, good fortune, and favorable circumstances. 

You can find all your dried herb needs at: Mountain Rose Herbs!

Here a couple STRAWBERRY recipes you may find YUMMMMY :).

Strawberry Shortcake

Recipe from "Eating Well 2006 addition"

Ingredients

Shortcakes

• 2 cups cake flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1 cup white whole-wheat flour, or whole-wheat pastry flour (see Ingredient Note)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 3 tablespoons nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip)

Filling

• 4 cups sliced hulled strawberries, (about 1 1/4 pounds whole)
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream

Preparation

1. To prepare shortcakes: Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. Whisk cake flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut in butter using two knives or a pastry cutter until the pieces are about the size of peas. Cut in cream cheese until it’s the size of peas. Drizzle oil over the mixture; stir with a fork until just combined (the mixture will be crumbly). Make a well in the center and add egg and buttermilk. Gradually stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a fork until the mixture is evenly moist. Knead the mixture in the bowl two or three times until it holds together.
  3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Dust with flour and roll into an 8-by-10-inch rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut the edges square using a butter knife. Cut the dough into 12 equal shortcakes. Transfer to a baking sheet.
  4. Bake the shortcakes until puffed and lightly golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly.
  5. To prepare filling: Toss strawberries with sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk whipping cream in a medium bowl until it’s thick and holds its shape, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in sour cream until combined.
  6. To serve, split the shortcakes horizontally. Spoon the berries and juice onto the bottoms, top with the cream mixture and replace the shortcake tops.

Tips & Notes

• Ingredient Note: Whole-wheat pastry flour, lower in protein than regular whole-wheat flour, has less gluten-forming potential, making it a better choice for tender baked goods. You can find it in the natural-foods section of large super markets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
  • Tip: No buttermilk? You can use buttermilk powder prepared according to package directions. Or make “sour milk”: mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk.

Nutrition

Per serving: 303 calories; 14 g fat ( 6 g sat , 4 g mono ); 48 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 138 mg sodium; 157 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Folate & Iron (20% dv).

Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2

Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 other carbohydrates, 3 fat

by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
celticwych
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Grilled Chicken with Strawberry and Pineapple Salsa

Recipe From: American Heart Association 2010 Addition

Serving Size: 3 ounces chicken and 1/2 cup salsa per serving

Ingredients

1 teaspoon canola or corn oil

Salsa
2 slices fresh pineapple, each 1/2 inch thick, patted dry
1 cup whole strawberries (about 5 ounces), diced
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
3 to 4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 medium lemon

Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each), all visible fat discarded
2 teaspoons salt-free steak seasoning blend
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cooking Instructions

Preheat the grill on medium high. Brush a grill pan or grill rack with the oil. Heat the grill pan or rack on the grill for about 2 minutes, or until hot. Grill the pineapple for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly, about 2 minutes, before chopping.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the remaining salsa ingredients except the lemon. Grate 1 teaspoon lemon zest, reserving the lemon. Stir the zest and chopped pineapple into the strawberry mixture. Set aside.

Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with the seasoning blend and salt. Grill for 5 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the center. Transfer to plates. Squeeze the reserved lemon over the chicken. Serve with the salsa on the side.

Nutritional Analysis
Per serving
Calories Per Serving
Total Fat
3 g
Saturated Fat
0.5 g
Trans Fat
0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat
0.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat
1.0 g
Cholesterol
66 mg
Sodium
223 mg
Carbohydrates
14 g
Fiber
2 g
Sugar
10 g
Protein
27 g

Dietary Exchanges
1 fruit, 3 very lean meat

oldfashionSAHM
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM

awesome thanks for the info.. we have some wild strawberries growing beside the house but it's not many maybe 4 or 5. 

celticwych
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM

mmmmmm wild strawberries are the best ;).  I can remember being a kid and literally eating ourselves into a tummy ache from to many wild strawberries and then heading over to the rubarb patch lol :)  

Quoting oldfashionSAHM:

awesome thanks for the info.. we have some wild strawberries growing beside the house but it's not many maybe 4 or 5. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN