Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

getting my kids better, not masking the symptoms?

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 11:33 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 340 Total Views

I was wondering if there is something i can do for my kids who just came down with a cold. i have natural cold medicine but i was wondering if there is something that can actually make them better a lot faster than just the basics. i of course have common sense and know plenty of rest and fluids should help. Maybe some zinc? if anybody knows of something that will really help get them better please let me know. I also really like to hear about home remedies. :)

thank you.

Janet

by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
oldfashionSAHM
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Chamomile and mint tea will help if you can get them to drink to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShowMeCoffeeOG
by New Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:12 PM

There is a difference between a cold and the flu. A cold is a bacterial infection, the flu is a viral infection. At our house we use a product called Karl's Formula - you can find it online. But for a quick fix when we're out we use plain old Hydrogen Peroxide. Just put a few drop in one ear and wait for the bubbles to stop, then drain it out onto a towel and do the other ear - it kind of sounds like a popcorn machine cooking your brain, but the oxygen in the H2O2 provides a hostile environment for the nasties that live in the inner ear and cause these problems. 

LuvMyBoy08
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Lemon essential oil is great for coughs. You can dilute it in a carrier oil and rub on the chest and throat. You can add 1-2 drops to 1tsp local honey.

Melaleuca (tea tree) is great for ear aches or infections. Just apply 1 drop behind the ears.

Lavender is great for helping to lower fevers. Just dilute 1-2 drops in a carrier oil and apply on the neck, feet, behind the ears, and on the back.

Let me know if your interested in hearing more about these oils, I use all of these on my 4 year old son and it not only helps with pain management, but it shortens the length of a cold
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hazelaid_mama
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:16 PM
I agree about the hydrogen peroxide in the ears (it tickles a bit but that passes). It seems to help shorten colds quite well. We also use elderberry extract as well as some homeopathic remedies. Sometimes you just have to ride it out though.

www.hazelaid.com All natural, hazelwood & Baltic amber necklaces that relieve eczema, reflux, teething pain, migraines, etc. We have Soap Nuts too! The wonderful, natural laundry detergent alternative. They really work!

DesertMade
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM
You can never go wrong with vitamin C!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN