Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My little girl is reading!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:12 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 212 Total Views

Reading was something I could hardly wait to do with my kids....to teach them to read, to read to them and to hear them read to me!  But Phillip is barely speaking and he only knows two letters of the alphabet so far....I will never lose hope, but it will be a long haul !   Violet gets so frustrated reading...right now she can read if there aren't many words on a page...and that is okay...I'm still pretty proud of her !  but it really is like pulling teeth to get her interested in a book!   I think in all the chaos of Phillip's therapy and behaviours, Maryanne's behaviours, Violet's emotional and social difficulties, I let go of Maryanne's abilities....and I have to say I was a little more than embarassed that the wonderful people at the daycare had to tell me that Maryanne can read !  They sent home some little books and a word list of the 100 most common words...and wow, she can read...and its obvious its not by memory !  So in a school meeting recently I told the teacher who had no idea she could read yet (one of Maryanne's difficulties is generalizing skills from one environment to another...she reads at the daycare but nowhere else)....but thankfully the teacher jumped right on it !  She gave Maryanne the job of reading a morning message...she puts the message on paper and sends it home with her and she reads it to me!   Its incredible!  Then the daycare worker and I were talking at some length this morning and she said "I don't think Maryanne should be labelled as Intellectual disability....yes she needs support and accommodations, but academically she can keep up without changing the curriculum...!  She learns extremely fast !!"  The last part I did know!  I'm so excited I'm in tears just telling  you about it!  lol      I think my biggest struggle parenting my children is accomodating their different levels....each one of them can have one on one with me and we do something different, but to do something that all 3 can have their attention on, understand and enjoy is next to impossible...and it becomes more difficult as time passes...the gap between them keeps getting larger .....and I feel like I just can't give my attention to each of them every night....  this is one of my goals.... to dedicate my evenings to the kids....Friday night is movie night and that works well with all 3.  even bedtime routines are separate from one another....    and I think I'm true to my libran qualities, lol...everything has to be fair and equal...its torment for me to leave somebody out...so I often opt for doing as much as possible at the lowest level to include everyone....and now I am realizing how much I'm missing out on...and how much Maryanne has missed out on....and it kills me that I wasn't the one to teach her to read....but regardless...I am still extremely excited !

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
SteeleMommasita
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Yeah!!!  Go maryanne!!  I wasn't all that instrumental in Koresha reading either.  Don't beat yourself up.  That is why it takes a village to raise a child...especially when special needs are involved. 

Just wait...by the time she is in 4th grade she could be reading Twilight like Koresha is...still amazes me cuz this girl couldn't even get her sight words down in 1st grade!

mom to 2 fraggles ~ Mathieu (12) and Koresha (10)
both have full FX mutation
and full-time mom to Brittani (16) and Curtis (14) -stepkids

shoecatcher
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Congratulations! Those are the breakthroughs we live for!  Now for the librarian's lecture. You read TO her. You DID teach her to read.  That is how she learned. And as for not knowing... One thing I learned from Jeff is that he would show his abilities to teachers when he went out of his way not to let me see them.  Jeff pretended not to be able to read at his true level for years!   Just a few months ago he came home from school with a Magic tree house chapter book from school.  I complained to his former 2nd grade teacher (who I work with now) and said "He barely makes it through a Berenstain Bear picture book"  She replied  "He read better than that in MY class!) 

He reads at a 4th grade level at school.  He reads at a 1st grade level for me and then only if he is forced.  Don't beat yourself up for not knowing.  If she had wanted you to know she would have shown you! (And then you would have expected her to do it, they are smarter than we give them credit for)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)