Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Diarrhea for almost 3 weeks!

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:24 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 232 Total Views

My 16 month old has had diarrhea for almost 3 weeks.  Everything else about him is perfectly fine.  We went to the doctor, and she said he most likely has "toddler's diarrhea" (whatever that is), and they would do stool samples just in case.  They came back, and he has white blood cells in his stool.  I looked it up, and usually they have this if they are fighting off salmonella or something like that.  That test came back negative though, so it's not that.  The only other option I see is an inflamatory disease like Crohn's disease.  Can it happen that young?  I emailed the doctor, and she hasn't gotten back to me yet.  Has anyone else had it start that young?  What does that mean for him?  I don't really know anything about the disease.  I'm probably just jumping the gun.  Maybe he's fine.  Oh, I wish the doctor would hurry up and get back to me.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
willsmomstacie
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:59 PM

"toddler diarhea" is a medical cop-out.  There's nothing "normal" about a toddler having diarhea for weeks on end.  We've been down this road with my son.  He's now having normal stools for the first time in his life because we've just put him on the SCD 2 months ago.  Many things can cause gut issues in small children, one of which is the current CDC vax schedule which in *some* children can lead to auto-immune issues.

You can start by doing a trial-run of pulling out the top common allergens like gluten, dairy and soy.  If that doesn't help, Great Plains labs offers a 90 food IgG allergy panel which is a GREAT way to identify unrecognized food sensitivities.

Feel free to PM me off list if I can help.

Willsmomstacie

Will, diagnosed at 18 months w/ASD, non-verbal, no eye contact, no play or social skills.  Now 3 1/2, VERY verbal, great eye contact, great play skills and increadibly social.  He's on the road to recovery with ABA therapy and biomedical intervention.

Spread the word - Autism is TREATABLE!!  Many stereotypical behaviors of autism are symptoms of underlying undiagnosed/misdiagnosed/unrecognized medical issues that can be addressed.  Come join us and learn more about biomedical interventions for spectrum disorders.  www.cafemom.com/group/biomedmammas

BettyPP
by Group Owner on Dec. 28, 2008 at 10:46 PM

Hi, I agree with the pp, I know for a fact that the measles vax is linked to causing issues in the bowel such as crohn's disease (not trying to start anything at all) so if he was vax'd for that recently it is one possibility, there are others of course. When I was diagnosed with crohn's the told me my white blood count was high as well so when you mentioned the white blood count that is what struck me. You can be diagnosed with crohn's at any age, although it is most common to be diagnosed between the ages of 18 and 35, children diagnosed typically have crohn's the worst, sad to say. There are many treatments for crohns but it is not a curable disease. There are some great sticky posts at the top of this page, I would take a look at them. One of the stickies has a link for a free (100 percent) book all about crohn's disease, that is VERY informative and anyone dealing with this disease should read. If you have any more questions please just ask, I will tell you whatever ever you need to know as long as I have the answer. Best wishes for your son, and just one plus side, this disease is not deadly, it just really really sucks.

Betty

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)