Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are time outs ineffective?

When my DD was younger (Under 2) time outs were our only recorse other than taking toys away. It basically constituted as nap time for her.  She was always good until she needed a nap. But if you took her into her room and said nap time she's scream her head off. So time out was a way to get her to sleep; otherwise totally ineffective for us! 

Do/did they work for your children?

by on Aug. 1, 2010 at 11:10 PM
Replies (31-33):
maiahlynn
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I do time-outs  they seem to work with my kids 2- 9 yr old.. after that grounded, extra chores works better

I will spank as a last resort but only if they are 2-11 yr old not younger not older.. my difntion of spanking over thier clothes, with my hand, no more than 3 swats.. oddly enough pretending ( clap my hands behind them or hitting the space next to them) to spank has worked if they are under 6.

LonestarMomx3
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Time outs have never worked for our girls, even to the point it has resulted in a spanking from not listening when we tell them to go to timeout. I have tried numerous times, and still do every now and then, but spankings and having heart to hearts are really the only things that gives results in house. Our oldest is 5 about to be 6 even spanking sometimes doesn't work anymore. But since she started school, I try to sit down and explain a lot more consequences out to her since she understands a little better. Like with her first (and only) bad mark on her report card thus far, I told her that as proud as I am of all her accomplishments and how smart and wonderful she is, I was disapointed and my heart her. I knew she could act better and is better than that. She cried and hugged me and said she knew but she wouldn't ever do it again. So far it's stuck.

Kriskash25
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I use it here and there, for small crimes, it consists of laying on their bed. I did use them for the terrible two age, I would put them in the crib anytime they threw a fit or did something they were told no and did anyway just to test me. If at someone's house or in that 3-4 year old range it was the corner. I use these for other people's visiting toddlers, they have to lay down in one of the kids beds if they are throwing a fit or if they are misbehaving it's the corner. I never tolerated tantrums and doing the crib or bed for tantrums, when they were toddlers knocked it right out. They never throw tantrums after about 3, they learned quick it wasn't accepted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)