Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for a little bit of help

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 7:35 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 3309 Total Views

My Friend made this post on facebook yesterday. It seems like this is an ongoing problem with her 7 year old and she appears to be at her breaking point. Just wanted to see what you would do if you were her.

I just need a break from a certain 7yo who thinks it's a super idea to purposely break everything. I'm so done with this...She knows the difference between accident and purpose and she is trying to break stuff.

what did she break? ‎3 pairs of pants in less than a month, one of which was brand new and Jeremiah had told her NOT to goof around with. BRAND NEW tennis shoes she literally trashed in less than 3 days. Toys, toys, toys. This is an ongoing problem it's nothing new. Last summer she was trying to break our siding with a bat. She purposely tore apart a bracelet this morning. At a loss

by on May. 16, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Replies (1-9):
GraceHudson
by on May. 16, 2012 at 7:38 PM
bump

Barbznc
by Member on May. 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I would ask how does someone "break" pants and tennis shoes?  If this girl is being deliberately destructive like cutting things up, I would take her to a child psychologist.

SalemWitchChild
by Group Head Admin on May. 19, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I have to agree with the PP. I think there might be some underlying issues. Perhaps she's trying to get attention by braking things? Either way I do think a therapist is in order.

MommaFoFo
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I understand that there is a need for therapists but how about taking one of her toys and breaking it in front of her...something she really likes.  How about busting her butt?  Clear out her room of all fun items and give her a time out?

She is 7..does she act that way at school?  If not, then she knows they will not tolerate it.  Take something away (tv, radio, games,etc).

SalemWitchChild
by Group Head Admin on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:23 PM

NO NO NO. Please OP don't do this. My mother did this to me and it ruined our relationship for a long time. It doesn't really teach anything. As I saw it, it was just a vicious act done because the parent is angry.

Quoting MommaFoFo:

I understand that there is a need for therapists but how about taking one of her toys and breaking it in front of her...something she really likes.  How about busting her butt?  Clear out her room of all fun items and give her a time out?

She is 7..does she act that way at school?  If not, then she knows they will not tolerate it.  Take something away (tv, radio, games,etc).

katcoll
by on May. 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM

hi im having trouble with my daughter,  looking for advise im pro spanking

malina1975
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I think a lot of this depends on whether she is being purposely malicious with her belongings.  Like a previous commenter stated, if she is cutting clothing up, there are deeper issues.

However, if she is simply not as careful with her belongings as she could be, I think there could be a lot of teaching moments there that do not involve "busting her butt" or "breaking her toys."  I think that I would have her earn everything she owns for a while so that she can see the value of these things.  She should also work to pay back for anything that she destroys as a result of not being careful enough.   If it continues to be a problem, maybe simplify her life so that she only has a few toys and the bare minimum of clothing.

tinabella43
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Hi, sounds like she's looking for attention ,in her own way , spend some more time with her ,one on one .talk to her and see if she will open up , maybe give her a warning, , next time you break something you will be grounded , losing something she enjoys too. Tina
SalemWitchChild
by Group Head Admin on May. 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Please make a separate thread with more detail on the trouble you're having.

This thread is over a year old. Closing it as I trust the OP has dealt with this issue.

Quoting katcoll:

hi im having trouble with my daughter,  looking for advise im pro spanking

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)