Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Avi starts ABA tomorrow. **UPDATE**

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:40 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 226 Total Views

It's taken 3 months but Avi finally starts ABA therapy tomorrow. I'm really nervous. He was suppose to start last week, but there was some hang up with all the paperwork. But I got confirmation today that tomorrow is the day. He will be doing 3 hours Mon, Wed, and Fri to start. Eventually he will be doing 5 hours a day Mon-Fri for a total of 25 hours a week. And an hour of Speech therapy a week. I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed. My contact with the ABA group keeps reminding me that his behavior is going to get worse before it gets better and to expect an increase in tantrums until he is use to the therapy. He's been such a little monster lately. I don't know if I can handle his mood getting worse. lol! But I know this is for the best and he will be better because of the therapy. I'm just scared. Plus I have a one year old who doesn't like strangers and we are going to have 3 people coming over for the initial therapy session (the therapist, the behavior consultant, and our contact). Ugh I'm just freaking out. Now I need to go scrub my house down so it doesn't look like I just let the kids tear it apart. haha.

Yay the first session went really well. Avi took to the new therapist like she was an old friend. Oh I am so relieved. He did start getting a tad bit cranky towards the end and was unfocused but for about an hour and a half he was very involved and mimicking lots of words. It was once his baby sister woke up that he started to get irritated. So I'm thinking a lot of his frustrations are coming from sharing attention with her. (Which can't be helped since I'm the only one home during the day). But I think he is going to do well with the ABA. *Big sigh of relief*.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
patscan
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 2:05 PM

The ABA people are trained and can handle the little kid quams. Don't worry it will become routine. You are fortunate to get workers to come to the house , At least the work doesn't have to be done somewhere where you have to take the kids and then come home. pat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)