Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

your autistic child

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:01 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 354 Total Views

does your child have melt downs when they can't get thing they

want in th stores?

My daughter is 8  she melts down when she is in a shtore all the time if she does not get what she wants. It is really driving me nuts!

Stephanie

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
sweetwhite30
by New Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 9:21 AM

My son used to rip through walmart with a horrifying meltdown when he didnt get what he wanted.....

I would get stares and glares..I would get the speech of whip his ass and he will stop....ugh them people...

what they didnt know ,oh yeah my sons HFA by the way...

He wouldnt understand the complex  whip you and associate that to oh this isnt right..he see whipping him as a form of hating him..  been there done that, really regretted it too ..never listened to the general public again after that........

we kept him out of stores for yrs he is 10 now and he goes in now without such big melt downs...I am thankful for that.

I do most of my shopping in walmart between 12 am and 3 am when i can take him in there  asleep in my basket,works wonders.I had someone give me that tip and have been eternally grateful for it since.

This will pass ,i know it seems like it won't but it will.It will hopefully get better for you .It is stressful and makes you cry at times i understand. I try to give him something to focus on while we are in there if i have to go in there during the  day time hours.

I let him hold a toy until we get to the check out and sometimes he gets it if hes been good enough..Thats how i handle these public situations....

mary mother of a (soon 9 yr. old with hfa and a 5 year old with cystic fibrosis).....A mothers job is non-stop,24 hours a day!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)