Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen dead after attack from fatehr over hijab(head covering)

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2007 at 9:43 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 519 Total Views
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2007/12/11/teen-attacked.html

Peel Regional Police on Tuesday released the name of a 16-year-old Mississauga teen who died after allegedly being attacked by her father.

Aqsa Parvez was found in her Longhorn Trail home on Monday morning without any vital signs.

Paramedics revived her and took her to Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children, where she died late Monday night.

Police said they received a call from a man who said he'd just killed his daughter.

The victim's father, Muhammad Parvez, 57, was arrested at the scene. He will appear in court on Tuesday and face murder charges.

Aqsa Parvez's friends told CBC News that the teen had been having arguments with her father because he allegedly wanted her to wear a traditional hijab.

"She kinda wanted to go a different way from the way her family wanted her to go," said one friend.

They also said that she wanted to escape the family conflict by running away.

On the family's quiet street, neighbours were dismayed, calling the events "a tragedy."

One neighbour said she was "praying for the family."

At the teen's school, Applewood Heights Secondary School, grief counsellors have been called in and tributes are being arranged.

"Aqsa was well-known at the school," said Sylvia Link, communications manager for the Peel District School Board.

"She had a wide circle of friends and … those closest to her really are [the] most affected. But anyone at the school, you know our school is like a family, you know anyone at the school is really going to be shocked and saddened by this tragic news."

Waqas Parvez, the victim's 26-year-old brother, has also been arrested and charged with obstructing police.

by on Dec. 11, 2007 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
KristiS11384
by on Dec. 11, 2007 at 9:46 PM
Thoughts on this?
practicalchick
by on Dec. 12, 2007 at 9:17 AM
Did this happen here in the US or Canada?  I am getting conflicting reports.  I say that if it happened here, we try his butt for murder in the first.

PRACTiCAL CHiCK

I am having a HUGE clearance sale! Just click here and then enter the bookstore and look on the left for the clearance bin! Books as low as .89 cents!

KristiS11384
by on Dec. 12, 2007 at 10:15 AM

Quoting practicalchick:

Did this happen here in the US or Canada? I am getting conflicting reports. I say that if it happened here, we try his butt for murder in the first.
THIS specific one happened in Canada.  Canada doesn't have a death penalty either so that's out the window. Most he could get is life.  So do you think the father is justified in his actions based on his religious affiliation?
practicalchick
by on Dec. 13, 2007 at 10:18 AM
That depends - does Canadadadadadada separate church from state like we do?  We don't have ecclesiastical courts here (I know I probably spelled that wrong) and I doubt they have them either.  He should be tried and held to the upper most extent of the law and then let him out into general pop since he killed his kid...  I bet justice would be served.
Quoting KristiS11384:

Quoting practicalchick:

Did this happen here in the US or Canada? I am getting conflicting reports. I say that if it happened here, we try his butt for murder in the first.
THIS specific one happened in Canada. Canada doesn't have a death penalty either so that's out the window. Most he could get is life. So do you think the father is justified in his actions based on his religious affiliation?

PRACTiCAL CHiCK

I am having a HUGE clearance sale! Just click here and then enter the bookstore and look on the left for the clearance bin! Books as low as .89 cents!

KristiS11384
by on Dec. 13, 2007 at 10:58 AM

Quoting practicalchick:

That depends - does Canadadadadadada separate church from state like we do? We don't have ecclesiastical courts here (I know I probably spelled that wrong) and I doubt they have them either. He should be tried and held to the upper most extent of the law and then let him out into general pop since he killed his kid... I bet justice would be served.
Quoting KristiS11384:

Quoting practicalchick:

THIS specific one happened in Canada. Canada doesn't have a death penalty either so that's out the window. Most he could get is life. So do you think the father is justified in his actions based on his religious affiliation?

AS far as I know Canada has a greater seperation of church and state then the U.S/.  I"m confused on you saying he should be tried and then let back out into the general population.  More so is  a religious belief of whether the head should be covered or not enough to beat someone to the point that they die? Granted if we were in Sudan they would have publicly executed the girl (They wanted to do it to a teacher for allowing her class to name a teddy bear Muhammed) , but at what point do we draw the line on religious freedoms?
practicalchick
by on Dec. 14, 2007 at 9:55 AM
General population in the prisons here in the US don't treat prisoners that kill children very well....

PRACTiCAL CHiCK

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)