Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A boy cheerleader?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2008 at 12:32 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 584 Total Views
What do you think of a school that won't allow the boy to be a cheerleader???????????? Hellooooooooooooooo.... just what do you think on that one???????? Do you think the school should be handled for its selfish discrimination or do you think they should be applauded for their smart high five thinking????? I know my opinion...I just wanted to know yours.
by on Jan. 10, 2008 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
KristiS11384
by on Jan. 10, 2008 at 9:23 AM
This reminds me of when my little sister wanted to join the football team and the school wouldn't allow her.  My dad threatened to sue, my sister and about 6 other girls tried out and ended up on the team.  I don't see why a guy can't be a cheerleader. Have you ever watched competition cheerleading on TV?  There's always teams with guys.  I think the school should be held accountable for discrimination.  The ONLY time I think a school should not allow a male or female to be on a team or participate in an after school sport is if the school is all male or all female. Then again they wouldn't have the problem of the opposite sex wanting to join their teams.

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too." ~Douglas Adams

http://www.cafemom.com/group/evildoers

HERESCUEDME
by on Jan. 10, 2008 at 1:51 PM
Wow...well on CNN this news add is on there, I just havent read the article to see what it says...I will and then repost more....and then I will share my opinion.:))) thanks for yours...:)
Quoting KristiS11384:

This reminds me of when my little sister wanted to join the football team and the school wouldn't allow her. My dad threatened to sue, my sister and about 6 other girls tried out and ended up on the team. I don't see why a guy can't be a cheerleader. Have you ever watched competition cheerleading on TV? There's always teams with guys. I think the school should be held accountable for discrimination. The ONLY time I think a school should not allow a male or female to be on a team or participate in an after school sport is if the school is all male or all female. Then again they wouldn't have the problem of the opposite sex wanting to join their teams.

lit_candle
by on Jan. 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM
Seems that Title IX would prohibit this type of discrimination.  The intent of the Title is to prohibit any type of discrimination in schools, but we tend to only focus on increasing female opportunities in sports. 

According to the CNN blurb that I read this young boy had won awards for gymnastics and cheerleading outside of the school PRIOR to trying out for the school team.  Based on that he must have had both the ability and a sincere desire to be on the team.

What shocks and saddens me is that this coach felt secure enough in the district guidelines and hierarchy to pull such a glaring breech of policy.  The coach was also the school's human resource counselor.  (I'm figuring that means she counseled kids in their career decisions).   How many decisions could this woman have affected before this issue got brought up????
practicalchick
by on Jan. 11, 2008 at 4:49 PM
There are male cheerleaders in college - why can't there be male cheerleaders in high school?

PRACTiCAL CHiCK

Usborne Books at Home
Independent Consultant

Did you know that January 12 is Penguin Awareness Day?

HERESCUEDME
by on Jan. 20, 2008 at 2:10 PM
I am sorry I haven't come back to this. I started the post, and was unable to find the same article, but nevertheless, I decided against giving my opinion, as my question was that on a spiritual level, and this is not a spiritual question to many, so I won't respond. I am sorry but I really do like this group, because you can voice opinions and ask questions that arise....like about the Stacy Peterson thing...in the beginning I thought he did it, but NOW I am thinking not, as they are finding racy messages supposedly not from him, insinuating she might of been having an affair....who knows though...
So after all this time has gone by....I answer and not even an answer at that....lol
Have a great day..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)