Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think....

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2008 at 9:38 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 560 Total Views
Do you think honestly that this country is ready for either a black man or woman president?  I hope we would be, but as divided the country still is on race issues, I can't see Obama getting elected...or worse..the 'good ole boy' network with politics, I can't see Clinton getting the nod either....

How sad a commentary if this holds true....What are your thoughts?

"That's all I have to say about that"
~ Forrest Gump ~

Cycle Girlie

by on Feb. 16, 2008 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
practicalchick
by on Feb. 17, 2008 at 11:32 AM
I don't want Obama and it isn't because he's black.  It's because he doesn't respect this country enough to cover his heart for the National Anthem or the flag.

I don't want Hillary and it isn't because she's a woman.  She lied during her husband being in office about not knowing what was going on and never said a thing about her husband allowing the bombing of Serbia during their civil war and yet it is just criticize criticize criticize when it comes to Iraq.  Not that I am crazy about us being over there - they don't want us there so I say pull out and let them blow themselves up.
cycle_girlie
by on Feb. 17, 2008 at 5:48 PM
My husband and son do not cover their hearts when the national anthem is played....This was something they were taught in basic training...When the song comes on, stop what you are doing and pay respects to the flag by standing at full attention...and I must say, they have trained me to do the same thing...

~ Forrest Gump ~

Cycle Girlie

practicalchick
by on Feb. 18, 2008 at 10:08 AM
Yes I remember doing that on the USAF base.  I taught my children to cover their hearts for both.  If we were outside playing, we stopped what we were doing. 

Regardless, I don't feel like (personal opinion - but isn't that what we are all about here?) he respects our country.
Quoting cycle_girlie:

My husband and son do not cover their hearts when the national anthem is played....This was something they were taught in basic training...When the song comes on, stop what you are doing and pay respects to the flag by standing at full attention...and I must say, they have trained me to do the same thing...

apostolicmommy
by on Feb. 19, 2008 at 3:45 PM
I feel like our country is doomed because of the presidential election, what are we going to do.

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail 

Graceland77
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 1:44 AM
I have seen multiple photo documentations that he has covered his heart for the National Anthem and/or the Pledge of Allegiance. That one incident at the steak fry (that was the event) has received a lot of press coverage.

I can respect that he won't wear the flag pin because it CAN be used as a cover up for true patriotism. That whole bit didn't come into vogue until after 9/11. I loved my country before then, and to jump on the flag-on-my-lapel bandwagon afterward seems a little trite to me. So I can understand where he's coming from on that. Wearing a flag on your lapel doesn't make you a true patriot any more than wearing a cross around your neck makes you a 'true Christian.' 

That said, I don't know who will get my vote. I'm a registered Indy and am honestly having a hard time making up my mind.

*dons flameproof suit* 
cycle_girlie
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 7:45 AM
I don't like any of them...can we have a 'do over'????

~ Forrest Gump ~

Cycle Girlie

Java-Mama
by on Mar. 29, 2008 at 10:45 AM
As for the whole "hand over his heart" thing with Obama - he was asked about the whole situation and said that he was taught to put your hand over your heart when you say the pledge of allegiance and to sing when the anthem is played. And honestly I agree with another post who said that this has been blown way out of proportion because ever since 9/11 everyone is overly worried about "acting American" and being patriotic. Personally I do not think that Obama has done anything offensive against America - I can't think of one instance that could even be construed that way actually. However, I would deem Bush as just about as un-American as you can get. Isn't being American all about cherishing the people that make up this country and wanting us all to "get along" - the whole "melting pot" and civil rights and liberties for all themes are coming into my head. So to me, Bush and Cheney are totally anti-American because they are concerned with their own wants and desires for this country and the issues that other countries have rather than the individuals who make up America. Seems to make sense to me but I don't know all of you will see this point the same way - let me know I'd love to hear what you think.

~~Jacqueline
cycle_girlie
by on Mar. 29, 2008 at 11:53 AM
At this point, I am so confused I say - scrap the whole system and start over!!

~ Forrest Gump ~

Cycle Girlie

Graceland77
by on May. 5, 2008 at 10:44 PM
I say, write in Elvis. So what if he's dead? He might do better from the grave than a lot of folks would do alive. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)