Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hollywood role models?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 6:31 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 253 Total Views
I would hate to be a young girl growing up these days with role models like Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton and Brittney Spears...What a mess they have made of their lives.

When I was growing up, my role model was Pat Benetar, Molly Ringwald, and such...

This is such a sad sign of the times when a DUI doesn't mean anything these days.

Cycle Girlie
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
practicalchick
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 5:42 PM
I don't have time right now to pull out my little soap box...but rest assured I am coming with it.  LOL

- PRACTiCAL CHiCK(tastic!)

Group Owner of Analytical Mamas United

http://www.cafemom.com/group/AMU

practicalchick
by on Jul. 27, 2007 at 9:49 AM
Alright my dears...I'm back.  I'd like to give a small disclaimer.

Yes, I do understand that parents are ultimately responsible for what is broadcast in to THEIR home and in to the lives of millions of vulnerable little girls. 

These "celebrities"....I have two schools of thought.

1.  I agree with what Lionel Ritchie said at the Essence Music Festival.  The celebrities of yester-year did a lot of the same crap...there just wasn't so much coverage because the media had better things to do.  Not that it makes what the celebrities do right - it just makes a point that we live with a media that loves sensationalism and a good train wreck.

2.  Because society loves a good train wreck (and I am all about watching Cops and Super Nanny, mmmkay?), the advertisers have us reeled in like a big old stupid fish.  Here's how it works...take notes, mmmkay?

Since we love a good train wreck a la Lindsay, the news media makes it headline news or the big story.  Then, for those that watch the news or even read it online (me) it's right in your face.  Well, where does the news media make its money?  Do I see any hands?  You're right - it makes it ka-ching from the advertisers.  They pay big bucks to get their ads on during the most rated news programs...then you, the consumer, see the ad and go out and buy.  The more you buy, the more the advertiser makes.  The more the advertiser makes, the more spots they buy during train wreck time.  It's a vicious circle.

Meanwhile, while you are watching the unrated evening news during what the industry considers family time you bring murders, bank robbers, child molesters, and drunk drivers into your home and into the minds of your children.  They see their "idols" like Lohan out boozing it up (and I do feel bad for her, the girl needs some serious psychological help) and they want to be just like her!  Rich and famous and can do any thing she wants and essentially get away with it.

The media should be responsible because they do not broadcast things that are completely newsworthy (does it really affect your life that the pop stars are out binge drinking?).

Parents should be more responsible and not watch the news (CNN, Fox, or even local news - minus the weather) during the time the children are up and about.  There's the internet...there's a newspaper...why risk the impressionable minds that God gave you the responsibility of protecting?

Rogue Rebel...over and out!

- PRACTiCAL CHiCK(tastic!)

Group Owner of Analytical Mamas United

http://www.cafemom.com/group/AMU

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)