Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

scared of getting my daughter sick

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 2:03 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 240 Total Views
Last night was horrible. On top of last night being busy our hospital has had a huge gastro outbreak.  It's so bad one of our units is quarantined.  Now they're admitting people to other floors who have the same symptoms.  Last night I admitted a patient who "didn't have any gastro symptoms"  so I put her in with a fairly healthy patient and low and behold she's got gastro as one of her main problems!!!  Now she's going to get her roommate sick and all of us because we didn't isolate her until after we had been in the room to assess her.  It freaks me out so much because not only am I away from my baby when I'm at work, but it's impossible to pump on busy nights and I'm terrified of bringing something home to her.  She's only 2 months old, this bug would be disastrous.  I showered twice before getting into bed this morning. This was my third day back and through the whole shift I just wanted to cry.  I just wanted to be home with my baby not dealing with all the crazy hospital stuff.  I work on a small unit and at night it's only me and an LPN so if something goes really wrong it's just me.  I'm making my husband buy a lotto ticket today.
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mommyx5coolkids
by Member on Feb. 26, 2007 at 3:55 AM
We had that really bad on my unit too...thankfully we all made it through and didn't get it!  Lots of soap and H2O!!!  We still have a few cases...so i have my fingers crossed that we remain virus free!!!
bits78
by Group Owner on Feb. 26, 2007 at 7:39 AM
There was a nursing home in my area that was quarantined because soo many of  their residents had it.  They then sent one of them to the ER.  All I could think of was great now spread it all around the city.
CaidensMommy05
by New Member on Feb. 27, 2007 at 11:00 PM
Well I kinda know how you feel, I use to work at a hopspital before I started doing dialysis. Two things that helped meover come my fear of getting my son sick was #1 I worked at the hospital throughout my whole pregnancy, I think that your environment when you're pregnant helps. #2 I breastfed, need I say more?!?! Your baby is getting all of the good stuff. Best of luck! Hope I eased your mind maybe just a little!
goofygirl03
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 10:30 PM
I can understand your fear. We just had the GI sweep through our hospital and we had units closed. We're getting round two now (we're in upstate NY) it just won't go away this year! The best advice I can give you- use hot water and soap, wash often, change your clothes (wash them separate) and shower before going home to be with your kiddo. If you're really miserable you need to find another job because there is always going to be something. It's not worth you worrying all the time and being upset girl!
mommycat000
by New Member on Mar. 6, 2007 at 2:06 AM
I am not a nurse, but an x-ray tech. The hospital where I work at has seen a lot of the gastro bug, too. We seem to x-ray EVERY person that has it. I am terrified of getting sick and bringing it home to my 17 month old, who has never had anything other than a cold.  I am a germophobe anyways and I would feel terrible if I brought it home to him. I can understand how you feel with a really little one at home.
overwhelmed4now
by New Member on Mar. 16, 2007 at 9:16 PM
I worry about the same thing all the time my work has a double make up policy if you call out friday saturday or sunday  , even if you have a doctors note you have to make up 2 shifts at their convenience (usually your whole next week end off ) so now people are coming to work sick as a dog and getting the residents and coworkers sick and then we are bringing it home to our families . my 3 small children have had diarrhea and vommitting three times within the last month. it really stinks watching your child be sick . its worse when you feel guilty like it might be your fault
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)