Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MRSA, VRE etc.....

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 8:45 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 285 Total Views
I am just curious how seriously your facilities take thse "bugs" I have been anm aide for 5+ yrs now and nursing home seem to not care about these when I find them Quite serious! I am disgusted by the fact that they take them so lightly! What if I bring something home to my 3yr old son?? Just curious what others opinions are.
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gobimom
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 3:34 PM
MRSA is quite common in our community hospital and every patient who tests positive for either bug goes into isolation....every time they return they are again placed in isolation until they have been tested and the result is negative which means many of our patients are automatically placed in isolation on arrival to the hospital.  We have a way of remembering the patients as well...once they test positive infection control is made aware  every time thereafter when they come into the hospital an exclamation point shows up beside their name on all their paperwork...that way we know to isolate.
LoveMM
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2007 at 3:40 PM
I work in the NICU and we take this VERY seriously!
mybabytristan
by on Jul. 30, 2007 at 8:10 PM
Standard precautions is all they require....sometimes we don't even know, they feel as aides that we dont need to know! I am disgusted I'd like to see them go into someones room who has MRSA in their nose, who is a dementia resident ..and picks her nose every 30 mins til it bleeds.......and then go and pick up their kids and give them a hug!!!
UGA_mom
by New Member on Aug. 10, 2007 at 2:07 AM
We do contact isolation for MRSA and VRE, and once you have it you will on isolation @ our facililty for the rest of you life basically. The records are flagged with a code that requires isolation every time you return.
Now that being said, most of our MRSA cases are now coming in from the community and the hospital is discussing if there is really even much good in in isoalting MRSA pts now, espically from a cost prospective. Is it really helping pt, espically our kids who are scared of the yellow gowns. They have talked about doing a study to see how many visitors and staff are colonized to see if we should continue.

MitchMommyNY
by New Member on Aug. 27, 2007 at 10:34 PM
We test every patient for MRSA on admission, transfer and discharge using a nasal swab.  Once their culture is clear, they can be moved into a room with another MRSA negative patient.  If they are positive, they are kept in strict isolation.  All of our data is closely scrutinized so that we know what wards have outbreaks and what patients acquire MRSA during their hospital stay.  Our facility has gone out of it's way to provide us with all of the supplies we need to keep our MRSA transmissions to a minimum.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)