Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fair patient to staff ratios ?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 3:58 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 277 Total Views

Hello I am a cna in a nursinghome and I am sick of having such heavy assignments it is crazy that they can possibly expect you to care for 13 of more residents . I have contacted my local politicians and they are starting to listen . I have also met with a couple journalist . please help me by signing this online petition that just says that you agree that we need to have fair cna to patient ratios . Please check it out it will only take a minute

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/nursingstaffpatientratios/

by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 3:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Marinewife27
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 3:43 PM
AMEN SISTA!!!!!  It's the same at my hospital.  I'm a CNA and I may have 12 patients, 5 of which can't do anything for themselves!  It's SO hard.
Amotherof2
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 4:06 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I have worked in healthcare for almost 17years and there is NO fair patient to staff ratio... that would be clled what??  GOOD PATIENT CARE!!!!!

Love the idea...and signed the petition...
Thanks
dbjmama
by New Member on Mar. 29, 2007 at 3:19 PM
I have been in nursing for over 10 year's Nursing home's and hospital's I know in my state there in no limit to how many pt , one person can have, wich is so wrong.........
Marzipan
by New Member on Mar. 30, 2007 at 1:56 PM
I completely Agree!! I work at a nursing home.... and we're so understaffed I'm assigned 21 patients! Yes, that's right 21- that's making sure they get their trays, get fed, 4 get bathed, most get diapered and changed or assisted with the bathroom, most assisted with bedtime, etc, etc... It's absolutely nuts...and we're overworked and underpaid... The DON says that she's trying to have the census stay up so we can have more CNA's scheduled, all I can say to that is they must be smoking something in the administration... because that is the most heinous thing I've ever heard of!

P.S. I tried to sign the petition and it said somebody with similar info as mine already signed it? Either way, I'm with you all the way!
3kids1mom
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 12:34 PM
Hi, I'm a CNA too....I just tried signing the petition and it was saying that my signature wasn't recorded because someone w/ similiar info as me has already signed......huh???  Well, anyway, I'm completely w/ you on this issue.
tracy227
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2007 at 12:50 PM
There are no fair ratios when it comes to Healthcare and because of it our patients do not receive the proper health care!!!  And of course we are to blame and it's very frustrating!!!!  Sometimes I wonder why I ever wanted to be a nurse!
skyemp
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2007 at 6:22 PM
I think where I work it 8 or 10 residents per aide.  We have 29 residents on a wing, and they are trying to schedule us 4 aides to a wing.  so what's that work out to? 7 per aide? I guess I can't complain!
JeffersonMom
by on Apr. 12, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Quoting 3kids1mom:

Hi, I'm a CNA too....I just tried signing the petition and it was saying that my signature wasn't recorded because someone w/ similiar info as me has already signed......huh???  Well, anyway, I'm completely w/ you on this issue.

The same thing happened when I tried to sign!
mckeemom
by on Apr. 13, 2007 at 5:59 PM
I know the CNA staff ratios are bad but I have news for you the nurse to pt. ratios are just as bad if not worse. As nurses we are responsible for all pt.s medications, treatments and to assess and look for any new symptoms or if a pt.is going into shock or something and, when you have 6-8 pt.s in an acute hospital setting 2 who are fresh post -op, one pre-op prep and an admission and two who are 2-3 days post op it is ridiculous. I tried hospital work in med-surg after being out awhile and left after 5months. I have had family members who almost died at the hosptial because of med issues. You have to stay with any family member 24/7 when they are in the hospital or you may find out too late they messed up. The 12 hour shifts don't help either since their are statistics that prove that after 8-9 hours you are not as mentally sharp and you are dealing with heavy duty drugs here. I now work for hospice which I love because I actually have time to give a back rub to a pt. or to sit and listen for awhile and let them share their feelings and most of them and the families are so appreciative. I bless those nurses who are able to stick it out in hospitals and nursing homes you are truly angels. I know they passed a law in FL to lower the staff to pt. ratios in nh but i don't think it is followed and I don't think there are enough nurses and aides to make it happen. I pray your petition works and something gets done soon, not only as a nurse but as pt. myself sometimes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)