Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any ideas on having a good resume and getting a nursing job???

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2010 at 7:48 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 806 Total Views

One year and still no job..  I have over 10 years as a  Certified Medical Assistant and worked in a office I loved , but its like I have NO experience!!  I am so depresed over not working...

by on Feb. 23, 2010 at 7:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
midnightmoma
by on Feb. 23, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Have you taken and passed boards for RN ?   You do have experience, you just haven't worded it in a way it will stand out. Use your clinical rotations as experience.  Google nursing resumes and cover letters to help get yours in top notch. You can also go to a place that does resumes, alot of the employment places will do them for free.  How many interviews have you had, and how did they go. Were you prepared with the questions they would ask and did you ask them questions? What types of questions did you ask? This tells the interviewer alot about you and how interested you are in their company and not just getting "A JOB"..KWIM... Also how you were dressed plays a good role.  Professional dressed, min make up, no visible tattoos, etc.. Google nursing interview questions and questions to ask them.. It was really helpful.. 

I hope some of this helps.. Also play up what you have done, it will help with nursing.  I was a waitress for 10 years and went to school with three kids and a hubby. Very little medical experience and landed my dream job at a top notch hospital.. If you have specific questions please PM me and I will try to help.

Willsmom65
by Member on Feb. 24, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I found out several years ago. when applying for a nursing job, have your application in hand and ask to speak with the supervisor of the unit or floor where you want to work. Simply submitting an application online or through human resources places your application in the "shuffle" and it often gets lost. I have never been turned down for a job by doing this. Good luck to you!

mom_of_3_angels
by on Mar. 5, 2010 at 4:24 PM

The way it works here is the hospitals have new RN spots that they pay you at a slightly lower pay to start but they train you in the department you want to work in. The spots are limited for each department, but many of the local hospitals have a new hire program.

lightoftheworld
by Member on Apr. 9, 2010 at 12:23 AM

do a search for nursing resume books on amazon and you will find a few reference books to help you build a good resume.  Like the other posters suggested, dress professional, act enthusiastic and play up your experiences.  Even if you do not have RN experience, you do have work experience (people skills, working long hours, documentation, etc)  Emphasize your clinical skills that you learned in school.  Be willing to take a job that is a less desirable shift (like nights or weekends), or work in a less in-demand environment (like long term care) to get some experience.  and REMEMBER TO ALWAYS FOLLOW UP!!!

JessDermer
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2011 at 3:44 PM

If it helps, I have a copy of my cover letter, resume and references.  We just had to complete this for our trends and issues class.  I sent it to our schools career development director and he helped me put it together.  If you would like to use it for reference, send me a message :)  Other than that, always call to follow up after you submit your resume.  I was also told, submit it anywhere and everywhere, even if they aren't hiring.  Hope that helps!

Jess

bellawomen
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:18 AM

You definitely need a cover letter.  What is your degree?  I know here in San Diego, unless you have prior experience and are enrolled in a Bachelor program, with an ASN you will not even be offered an interview.

Who are you using as references?  Do you have any volunteer experience?  What have you been doing since you graduated?  What are you listing on your resume?

SusanD
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 12:01 PM

My advice would be to volunteer, and venture out into other areas of nursing other than just hospital nursing. If you haven't looked into it, try clinics, home health, long term care, hospice care, respite care, school nursing, dept of corrections nursing, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN