• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing School entrance application! Point system

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:25 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 433 Total Views

What kind of questions were on your nursing school entrance application? How does the point system work and what can I do to make sure my application stand out above the rest?

by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mom_of_3_angels
by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Our application had no questions and was strictly points based. You get points for the entrance exam and points for your grades. These are added together and those with the highest points get it.

SusanD
by Member on May. 2, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Our application asked your basic questions, such as your name, what schools you have attended, etc.

The points system varies by school. One school in the area gives a point for living in the school district. The school that I am attending gave the majority of the points for your over-all GPA, the number of co-requeset courses completed, the GPA of  just your science courses, and your score on the entrance exam. They then put them into a ranking spreadsheet and they take the people with the most points until all slots for students are filled and then pick alternates after that.

The best way to stand out above the rest is a little out of your hands at this point...it would be to have a higher GPA, more available courses taken, and a higher entrance exam score than other students.

Ohhhh...I forgot, some schools give some points if you are a CNA. Not sure if that applies to you or your school or not.

ROP
by Member on Jun. 21, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Our school gives points for the enterance exam, GPA, grades in prereqs, past work, volunteer work, essay and interview.....it is different everywhere. The program I applied to and got into (lol) for this fall only looked at ONE test score and that was it....I had to turn it down because we are moving but I keep telling myself it they look at more than one single score I'll look better LOL But, everything is out of our hands.....unless you have time to improve one focus of the scoring. :)

Camomommy1001
by Member on Jun. 21, 2010 at 1:34 AM

It's different from school to school. For ours I had to write an essay anwsering why I want to be a nurse & how will I handle the program. I also had to get 3 refference letters, proof of CNA (required to be a CNA in order to apply), Health Care provider CPR, & a few other little things like that. Then our points where on how many classes toward your degree you have done, your GPA (above 2.79, but they haven't accepted anyone under 3.0), your interview, you're expierence, the years you've worked as a CNA, & all that jazz.

I was told that I had great reffrences, great experience, a positive attiude, I knew my weakness & knew how to work with them, & because I had all my classes except nursing classes done up to my RN year that I stood out as a no brainer.

We don't have an entrance exam here. So, I can't help ya w/that.

Shellybelly420
by Member on Jun. 25, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I WISH my school was on a point system. I have a 3.6 gpa and had to wait a year to get in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)