Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chemistry

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 374 Total Views

Taking Chemistry this semster and I'm freaking out a bit.  I get my books tonight.  I'm going to start reading.  Are there any good study tips for Chemistry or any words of advice?

by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmclife58
by Member on Jan. 10, 2012 at 6:32 PM

No advice from me. Chemistry is my worst subject. I honestly do not remember a single thing from that class. I put it in my head just long enough to pull off a C, and now it is gone. Every time I remind myself I have to take part 2, plus organic chem, I get a headache. It is really that bad for me. Lots of luck to you!!

.Peaches.
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm taking Chemistry this quarter also, and I'm not great at it, so I have no advice.

Just know you're not alone lol

Angeldolphine
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Do you know how you learn? My best way of learning is to make sure I take really good notes. Then, I go through my textbook with my notes, highlighting everything the teacher talked about, making sure I notice any additional details on the subjects my teacher talked about. I find its pointless just to read through the book. I skip anything the teacher didn't talk about, because the majoirty of teachers test on what they taught.  I also make flashcards from the highlighted sections. I go through my flashcards daily, one pile is for what I know, the other for what I don't know. I found that if I know the information, I do well, because I am great at critical thinking. Then, before the test, I get together with a study partner. We review each others notes and flashcards.  After the test, I take the test and make sure the questions I got wrong, were information  in my highlighted notes in the book. If not, I figure out where it is so that I can do better on the next test. This method works for any class I have taken, especially Science, since there is SO much information.

momof2cuteboys
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Quoting Angeldolphine:

Do you know how you learn? My best way of learning is to make sure I take really good notes. Then, I go through my textbook with my notes, highlighting everything the teacher talked about, making sure I notice any additional details on the subjects my teacher talked about. I find its pointless just to read through the book. I skip anything the teacher didn't talk about, because the majoirty of teachers test on what they taught.  I also make flashcards from the highlighted sections. I go through my flashcards daily, one pile is for what I know, the other for what I don't know. I found that if I know the information, I do well, because I am great at critical thinking. Then, before the test, I get together with a study partner. We review each others notes and flashcards.  After the test, I take the test and make sure the questions I got wrong, were information  in my highlighted notes in the book. If not, I figure out where it is so that I can do better on the next test. This method works for any class I have taken, especially Science, since there is SO much information.

Well our professor hates the book so he rarely refers to it and skips from chapter to chapter.  But he tests on what he teaches and some things out of the book.  He always says this will probably be on the test.  So I star those in my notes and at the end of the week I make flashcards.  Then I have a work book that I found at barnes and noble to help me with all the formulas.  So far so good.  I have a 98% in my lab part and a 90% in the class... but that might be higher since he found he graded wrong on our last exam.  Flashcards are my saviour though!

Angeldolphine
by New Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Ah, in that case, you don't need the book except for looking up stuff that doesn't make sense in your notes. Flashcards are my best friend too! I like that I can flip through them and go over and over the things that are tough. Sounds like you are doing fine in Chemistry! Keep up the good work :)

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

Quoting Angeldolphine:

Well our professor hates the book so he rarely refers to it and skips from chapter to chapter.  But he tests on what he teaches and some things out of the book.  He always says this will probably be on the test.  So I star those in my notes and at the end of the week I make flashcards.  Then I have a work book that I found at barnes and noble to help me with all the formulas.  So far so good.  I have a 98% in my lab part and a 90% in the class... but that might be higher since he found he graded wrong on our last exam.  Flashcards are my saviour though!

LilrockerMama
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 7:54 PM
Google was my best friend, lol! Also YouTube can be so helpful. Flash cards... It's not so bad if you have an open mind. Drawing pictures helps me a lot too. Good luck if you need help private MSG me I may be able to help!
blessedfamily06
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM
I hear ya i start chemistry in jan and have no idea what im doing
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof2cuteboys
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 3:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting blessedfamily06:

I hear ya i start chemistry in jan and have no idea what im doing

I ended up pulling out a B- some how.  Youtube was my best friend though!

Good luck!

MaiasMommy619
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:11 PM
It makes me nervous to even think about having to take this class... Ahhhh lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof2cuteboys
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Quoting MaiasMommy619:

It makes me nervous to even think about having to take this class... Ahhhh lol

Flashcards!  They really really helped!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)