Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Considering changing my major...

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 489 Total Views

I'm considering changing my major. I'm not sure I can handle the pressures of trying to get into nursing school, never mind actually getting in!

I suffer from Lupus and have had 6 flares since starting school last year, the most I've ever had, from the stress of trying to complete my pre-reqs to get into nursing school. The way my school is set up, those interested in Nursing start out as Health Science majors, but we only complete the pre-reqs required for Nursing. They admit 40-50 students per admission quarter (so once in April, once in October), so its EXTREMELY competetive.

Add to that the stress of the TEAS test...I just don't think I can do it. I don't want to end up in the hospital again from the stress.

Thanks for letting me vent. :\

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maccheese
by Member on Feb. 17, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I've made it into a program and have started. I refuse to let stress get the best of me. I do not do well under stress. Nursing school itself presents stress so I do not bring my own stress into it.

Are there any other programs in the area you can apply to so that you have options and not so focused into getting into only one?

Also, to me the TEAS wasn't that bad (not in a minimizing way, but in a relief to you way). If you grab yourself a study guide, you can get through that one. Its the tests in the actual program that are a trip.

All nursing programs are competetive so don't get stressed over that. My best advice is to have options and be open to starting at a later date (if need be.) That way you can relax and not get to stressed and look out for whats best for your health.

.Peaches.
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I thought about it, and I decided that, in order to keep my stress levels down, I'm going to change schools and my major. I'm going for an Associate's degree first, which will allow me to work towards a B.S. in Nursing at a more relaxed pace, while still allowing me to work in the medical field.

I am going to Surgery Tech, and I only have about a year left to go with all the credits that my new school accepted!

musicpisces
by on Mar. 13, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Have you talked to the disabilities department at the school?  Sometimes they have resources available for people with different challenges, and lupus may qualify, because it affects so many aspects of your life.  They can help with stress management, get you extra time for exams, get you a quiet room for the exams, etc.  Might be worth checking out!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

.Peaches.
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Quoting musicpisces:

Have you talked to the disabilities department at the school?  Sometimes they have resources available for people with different challenges, and lupus may qualify, because it affects so many aspects of your life.  They can help with stress management, get you extra time for exams, get you a quiet room for the exams, etc.  Might be worth checking out!

I'm not sure if my new school has one, but I never even thought about checking. I have an appointment next week to finish up my financial aid and everything, and I'll be sure to ask then. Thanks for the tip!

Kathryn33
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 8:09 AM
bump

Angeldolphine
by New Member on Mar. 14, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Nursing school is HIGH stress. If you can't handle the pre-reqs, nursing school itself is at least twice as hard. Nursing as a job is also high stress. I'm not sure if this is a good fit for you.

musicpisces
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting musicpisces:

I'm not sure if my new school has one, but I never even thought about checking. I have an appointment next week to finish up my financial aid and everything, and I'll be sure to ask then. Thanks for the tip!

I hope they can help!  At some schools, they can also get your priority registration into classes!  That's how I was able to get into anatomy, physio and micro- the competition is fierce, so I am glad having a legitimate disability helped me in some way!

Suzanne

.Peaches.
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm aware of that, my mom is a nurse. I have a lot of other things on my plate right now besides dealing with my Lupus, which is part of the reason I'm having trouble with my Lupus in the first place. Besides the lupus, I was dealing with the worry of not getting into a good program, which its something everyone applying worries about; wait lists where I was were incredibly long, and that's extra worry for someone who needs to start working ASAP.

I have decided that when I finish with my AA in Surgical Tech, I will go back for my BS in nursing, at a more relaxed pace.

Quoting Angeldolphine:

Nursing school is HIGH stress. If you can't handle the pre-reqs, nursing school itself is at least twice as hard. Nursing as a job is also high stress. I'm not sure if this is a good fit for you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Peaches.
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Lucky, I've gotten through a large majority of my science classes already and my credits transferred, so I don't have to take them again. I would've cried if they didn't lol!

I haven't taken micro yet though...heard it was hard. I usually don't have to much trouble with the science courses...its the math!

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting musicpisces:

I hope they can help!  At some schools, they can also get your priority registration into classes!  That's how I was able to get into anatomy, physio and micro- the competition is fierce, so I am glad having a legitimate disability helped me in some way!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by on Mar. 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I'm the same way, I DREADED math!  SOOO glad when that was done!

I ended up taking Micro over the summer (5 units in 6 weeks- kill me!).  At least it was interesting!  Luckily those are generally transferrable courses!  I couldn't imagine having to take them over somewhere else!  I already had to repeat them because several years ago, I was dumb enough to take them all AT THE SAME TIME!  Yes, I was loony. 

Quoting .Peaches.:

Lucky, I've gotten through a large majority of my science classes already and my credits transferred, so I don't have to take them again. I would've cried if they didn't lol!

I haven't taken micro yet though...heard it was hard. I usually don't have to much trouble with the science courses...its the math!

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)