Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

im bummed and beginning to rethink my decision....

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:21 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 369 Total Views

because of my HS in michigan being shut down and the scores i made on the placement test at my community college. I have to take a year or two of developmental courses. Its a good thing in a way, but now im at 5 years for my BSN instead of the 4 it was going to take me. My family keeps telling me that i can do it, and that its no big deal because im only 24. But i wanted to be done with everything by the time im 30 and i'll be 25 in december. This is really setting me back and I'm beginning to rethink being a nurse. Idk what to do anymore, because this is really not in my plans.

by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lilliannsmom1
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this
It took me 4 years to get my associates degree because life happens, but I wouldn't take it back for anything. If becoming a nurse is your dream, you should do whatever it takes to make that dream your reality.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmykids08_10
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 2:34 AM
I just did my class planning for all pre reqs, core classes, and my developmental classes. And i will be done with them all by the end of the fall semester of 2014. So idk if i can start the nursing classes in spring or if i have to wait til fall of 2015 to begin but either way i should be done with my BSN by fall of 2017. So its not as bad as I think, I just have to take it one class and day at a time. Because If i fail any class it will seriously put me behind further. So all I can do is focus on the now and prepare myself for the start of school this fall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Iamalwaysme
by New Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I know it can be hard,I am working on my BSN also.  But have you thought of getting your RN for now and then going back for your BSN. The RN only takes two years 

luvmykids08_10
by New Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 4:59 AM
It'll still be 4 yrs with pre reqs.

Quoting Iamalwaysme:

I know it can be hard,I am working on my BSN also.  But have you thought of getting your RN for now and then going back for your BSN. The RN only takes two years 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvtohunt
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 5:06 AM
Hang in there, its worth it. Because of the way our school is out here (rural), it has taken me 3over to get my RN(i graduate aug 17th!, but then i have my nursing courses left for my BA. It goes fast, and you can work and make good money while you go, if you get your lpn first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Sometimes life has other plans, but being flexible with your timeline can be key.  My plans to get my RN got derailed several years ago, and I had to rethink a lot, then DH and I had plans for me to get my BSN, then he lost his job and we had to start all over.  Now I'm finally getting started with the program next month, and I wouldn't take it back.  Then we had to wait another year (and I had to take this last year off from school).  But I'm in a better mental place than I was at those times, and I'm charged up and ready to go.  I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, and just because it may not happen before you're 30 wouldn't make you a failure.  Just keep truckin' on, and if it's your dream, then pursue it!  Also, some schools are going to a 2 year BSN (my program included), which might be something to think about!  Otherwise, an RN is certainly a possibility, and many BSN bridge programs are online, so you could easily work while doing it.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

blessedfamily06
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Hang in there I'll be 36 next month and just starting my pre reqs in JanuaRy
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)