Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

lpn or rn?

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 473 Total Views
So I'm having a hard time figuring out what I should do I have already been going to a community college for 2 years. And you have to get straight a's just to get in and even with that its not a sure thing and I don't have much support to help me through I'm alone with my 4 year old what do you guys think I should do lpm takes a year rn would take about 2 more in recs and 2 in nursing school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilliannsmom1
by New Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM
If you go with the LPN first, it is quicker and requires less prereqs, you can be working sooner but the pay is less and fewer job options. A lot of times, it is easier to get in to an RN program being an LPN but it will take you a little longer to become an RN.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mindy222
by New Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 9:15 PM
I know that I just don't which one to go for I know rn would be better but with no support I don't think I can do it

Quoting lilliannsmom1:

If you go with the LPN first, it is quicker and requires less prereqs, you can be working sooner but the pay is less and fewer job options. A lot of times, it is easier to get in to an RN program being an LPN but it will take you a little longer to become an RN.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 3:10 AM
If it is at all possible, I'd say to try to get into an RN program. The opportunities are SO much better, as is the pay. Try to line up as many resources as possible, line up any friends or family that can help with child care or meals or whatever they can, and make it work. You can do it!! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanD
by Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM

If its what you want, then you just find ways to make it work. If you can make it work for one year to get through LPN school, what would prevent you from making it work for 2 years for RN school?

mindy222
by New Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM
I'm having a hard time getting straight a's and even when I do I won't be sure to get into nursing school when I apply

Quoting SusanD:

If its what you want, then you just find ways to make it work. If you can make it work for one year to get through LPN school, what would prevent you from making it work for 2 years for RN school?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanD
by Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 4:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Honestly, it sounds like you have already made up your mind and are just wanting to know if its a good idea. If thats the case then go the route of LPN. Its your decision. There are pros and cons to going each route. Either way, you will be able to get a job. It may take you longer to get to the point of having your RN, the pay is less, and you will work in a more limited capacity and likely in fewer areas. However, there isn't a WRONG choice here. Either way you will have bettered yourself and your family's future, etc.

Bellsbabyboys
by Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I just got finished with LPN i did it cause it tool a year and after the year i can get a job and experience before i do the RN.

onefootcutiepie
by New Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:11 AM

RN. For sure.

KeimUNCmomof3
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:46 PM

With all that you have mentioned....I say go for LPN, you will graduate sooner and the pay isn't too bad.  You can always do the LPN bridge to RN program later on.  

P.S.  I agree with Susan D.

KeimUNCmomof3
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I did the Medical Assisting program a long time ago, wish I did LVN/LPN instead, that way the process of getting RN would be better.  I am basically starting over since the credits to the M.A. program don't transfer.  I am pursuing a Bachelors in Nursing, taking prerequisites at a University now.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)