Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IV insertion practice

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:09 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 1133 Total Views

How does your school approach this?

Mine does not allow anyone to practice on each other anymore because of some dumbasses.  They posted a video of them practicing on each other while on lunch on campus and posted it to youtube.  SO now they take our needles from our nurse packs and only give them to us in lab.  We have to practice on manikin arms.  They SUCK.  Sometimes I wonder what my tuition pays for!  They are SO hard to work with and the "veins" are so used that you can't really get them to function properly.  When you occlude the vein, it still "bleeds" out and we have to turn off the bags just to prevent a mess.

I want to practice on my stbx (he agreed, he owes me lol), but do not know how to order IV start kits and needles.  Can we even do that as students?  I know many of the students in my cohort have got them off of friends from other cohorts who now have jobs (they take them from their jobs and give them out) or from family who are nurses.  Is there another way to get them without someone risking their job?

by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
musicpisces
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 8:48 AM

You can't get them without a prescription, unfortunately.  You can get everything but the needles/caths, I believe (I used to run a nursing skills lab before I got into my program, so ordering supplies was part of my job, and we had to have an MD order to get those items).

We don't get our needles, either.  All sharps are kept in the skills lab.  The only thing you could realistically do, which I am NOT suggesting you do, is steal from the hospital where you're doing your clinicals, but you can surely see why I would not recommend this!!

Is it possible to maybe volunteer in an ER somewhere?  Not sure what the laws are where you are, but maybe that's a possibility, so that you can practice IV starts (and how to document them)?  I don't think it would be legal here in CA (we're SUCH a letigious state... Ug.), but it might be worth asking about where you are.   ?? 

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

bellawomen
by Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 8:55 AM
My nursing school would have shit flips if we did anything clincal outside of clincals. We have one girl who volunteers at Balboa Naval Hospital San Diego and she got sent a letter of cease letter because she mentioned the nurses there were going to let her start their IVs during her volunteer time (outside of clincals). It was full on legal document. They also just sent a cease and desist letter to some graduated students who had a video of them practicing IVs on each other because they had their school uniforms on.

I already intern at a local hospital and have nearly 1000 hours in and right now in critical care. I see them start PICC lines even lol. But haven't asked for anyone to give me needles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bellsbabyboys
by Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 9:49 AM

The dummy arms are  a pain but they have reasons to stop you all from doing that on each other. I took extra tme when i was a student and ask the instructor if i could practice some. Now they tell me i have natural talent for doing IV's I have started iv's on patients that even RN's and ed rns havnt been able to get

bellawomen
by Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 12:36 PM
I wish I could practice more, but they only give us x amount of needles to use per student. They won't budge and I offered to pay for more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bennett121
by Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM

You should get plenty of practice in clinicals and precepting. If you don't I wouldn't worry too much. There are countless new RN's who have never even stuck a patient. So I wouldn't let it get me down. I would recommend you go over and over the steps so when it's time you know what to do and you can focus on getting the vein. good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)