Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Studying Tips!

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2008 at 8:36 PM
  • 47 Replies
  • 2562 Total Views
 The other post was deleted. 

So, if you have some share them!! I'm sure it will help others out! =)

by on Feb. 14, 2008 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
loopyswan
by on Feb. 21, 2008 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Index cards   they work great for studying and you can carry them anywhere
rachenos30
by on Feb. 21, 2008 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I absolutely, positively have to agree.  Writing something down helps for it to stick better.  It does for me anyway.  Another "tool" I use is multi-colored fine point Sharpie's.  I use a different color for certain points I want to stand out when studying my index cards.  It also makes studying a little more tolerable.  Kind of like coloring for grown-ups. 
LisaMom85
by on Mar. 11, 2008 at 3:36 AM
I have a question; I am taking A&P II this semester, and I have tried the index cards, too (because you can take them everywhere).  The only problem is...I don't know when to stop!  It'll take me forever b/c I end up wanting to write everything on the cards.  I could just do the "bolded" phrases in the book, who knows.  Once I get started, I"m like, "oh-heres another good one". 

So now I am trying just reading through the entire chapters and seeing what sticks, first.  Any ideas?
lraelyn
by Member on Mar. 12, 2008 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Try reading through a paragraph, summing it up in your mind with important parts and try to only write one or 2 KEY sentences on it. I try to sometimes make simple notes on lined paper such as:

Nephrons:functional unit

etc......
AudreyJ
by on Apr. 11, 2008 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
For A&P students I have found Anatomy & Physiology revealed discs absolutely wonderful!  It's a 4 disc set made by McGraw-Hill and I got them on amazon for about $20, list is near $40.  The ISBN if anyone is interested is: 0073215538.  You can virtually disect a cadaver, self test, view animations, and see radiology images of a specific part. 

LOVE THEM!
Mum24boyz
by on May. 15, 2008 at 9:21 PM
I study at night before I go to bed...I swear my mind works on stuff overnight while I'm sleeping..lol!
searayweekends
by on May. 25, 2008 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Definetly agree with the others - writing really works for me, too.  I used to use the index cards, but then started using the large, legal tablets....and when the final rolls around, it is all there, in order, to study from.  I do a lot of study questions from the Nclex review, as well.
mommyintraining
by on Jun. 3, 2008 at 9:58 PM
Seems that we all agree on index cards. They have helped me through these past couple of years TREMENDOUSLY!!! Here's a little twist to add to them! When I began Med-Surg, it was like taking A&P 2 all over again, so after some experience of formatting study cards I discovered (being a visual learner and retaining things by re-writing them in my own words), I would give the card a title, then subtitles, write descriptions/definitions using my own words and then draw a picture corelating it. WORKS WONDERS!!! I have been finished w/ med-surg for over a semester now and when I am assigned a pt today w/ a certain disease, I swear these pictures come to rememberance like brain flashcards giving me a presentation as to what this disease, illness or complication looks like! Example below. Hope this helps somebody! Remember, keep it simple and you'll be able to pull other things in w/ it because of the symptomologies alone instead of having to write a ton of stuff!
                                               (On Front)
                                        Cushing's Disease
Etiology: S/E of long term steroid use; excessive production of adrenocorticotropic hormone (produced by the kidneys)

Symptoms: c/o muscle wkness, weight gain, DM, HTN, etc

Presentation: moon-like facial appearance, puffy cheeks, edema, over-weight, etc

Nursing concerns: Edema; check for pitting, elevate legs, use stockings Diet; encourage high proteins & low cal, low sugar, Teaching; controlling/testing glucose levels, etc.
                                              (on back)
A drawing of a person w/ puffy cheeks, a heart w/ an arrow pointing up for tachycardia/HTN, an arrow pointing to the knees and writing muscle wkness, a cup of water in his hand for polydipsia (constantly drinking), etc.
myboy28
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2008 at 11:06 PM
I have to agree about the flashcards, also, carry a small recorder and tape your lectures, read the chapters, and I always like to re-write my notes from class. I am also going to take a college study skills course offered at our community college where I just completed a Fall, and Spring semester. I decided to take the summer off to play with my grandchildren and girlfriends. Good Wishes to each of you...
Lady Bugs
Heather7505
by on Jul. 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM

It is proven that if you write the important facts in red you will remember them better. Something my Micro instructor taught me.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)