Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does your school work?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:54 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 286 Total Views

I was just curious what the requirements are for your schools as far as getting accepted in to the program. I am going to a community college for my RN.  You pretty much have to complete all pre-req's before applying to the clinical portion. The application is based on a point system and goes up to 100 points. If you don't have at least 94 points, forget about applying because you most likely will not get in.  Is this how it works for all of you guys out there?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by New Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Our program is based on merit (GPA) as well based on your pre-reqs the hightest ranking applicants are given priority, and right now they are having to turn down students with 4.0 because of so many applicants. However the school I previously attended, and had planned to go to nursing school at does a combination of merit and lottery. If you have within a certain GPA, I forget what it is, than you are placed in the lottery drawing for a position in the program. If you don;t make it the first year your name gets placed in twice the next year, and so on and so forth. I am much more in favor of the merit only system.

by Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:15 PM

The ADN program I was in- points system.  You got points for passing A&P 1,2 Microbiology and English 111.  A=4. B=3 etc.  Needed 9 to get in.  GPA needed to be 2.5.  There was room for over 100 each year- but lots of people dropped (including me lol).

Hospital program I'm working toward- everything has to be completed before you can take any nursing classes.  On top of that I have to take the NET (and I'm open to any pointers anyone has on it).  You have to pass the NET, have at least a 2.5 in prerequisites, and I think it's 100 for the whole year (2 classes a year).

I don't know if I like this any better the second time around.  I had to take 3 more prerequistes (2 more maths- UGH), and take a test that I didn't have to take to get into the ADN program. 

Maybe someday I'll eventually get a master's and teach. Maybe.  If I'm not completely sick of school in another 2 years LOL.

by Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Ours goes on a point system as well, only with ours the maximum is 20 points, 4 of which are based on your gpa. The other 16 are based on english, math, computers, and biology. They let in 50 students each semester. I got in on my first try but know people who had to wait to get in.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I'm in a BSN program and they too do a point system. There is a max of 24 points split between: Hours earned at the institution, Overall GPA, Science GPA, Volunteer work, and References.

They pick the people with the top points combined with the highest GPAs and then work their way down. Some people, if they're close, get put on a waitlist. And you can apply while you are finishing your pre-reqs.

by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 4:20 PM

I go to CSU, Chico and our program sounds similar to yours.  There is a max of 100 points, 60 of those come from your science and Area A (math, english) grades. 20 points max for the TEAS test.  The remaining 20 points are given for work experience, volunteer service, if you live in the area, economic hardship, and a few other things.

The community college in the area is based entirely on a lottery system which IMO is ridiculous.

by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 7:13 PM

I am in a 3 year program called  "Traditional RN".  I just had to pass the NET and score a 19 or higher on the ACT (i got a 24).  All the prereqs are included so there is no waiting. 

My first semester I took A&P, Chemistry, Comp1, Technical Math for Nursing, Medical Terminology, and Spiritual Perspectives in Healthcare.

This semester I start clinicals and skills labs and I am taking nutrition, sociology, microbiology, a&p2, and dosage calculations.

We also have the option of signing a 2 year contract at Baptist hospital and they will pay 75% of our tution, but I think I am going to work at UAMS bcse they have a level 1 trauma center. 

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics babies
by on Jan. 6, 2009 at 10:27 PM

We have a points based system and unless you have another degree or lots of college credits you need to do the pre-reqs to have a snowball's chance in hell to get in. 

Our pre-reqs are:
COM 101 (basic english)
COM 103 (speech)
PSY 104 (developmental psych)
SOC ___ (a sociology of your choosing I took 101)
HUM 101 (it's an elective, I chose humanities just because)

BIO 180 & 181 (A&P 1 & 2)
BIO 119 (Micro)
CNA class plus current state cert.

The success courses are what you get points in and those are the BIOs and the PSY.  A is 5 pts, B is 4 pts, C is 3 pts.

GPA pts are:
2.5-2.75 is 10 pts
2.751-3.0 is 13 pts
3.001-3.250 is 16 pts
3.251-3.500 is 19 pts
3.501-3.750 is 22 pts
3.751-4.000 is 25 pts

College Credit hrs are:
1-15 =2 pts
15.1-30 = 4 pts
30.1-45 = 6 pts
45.1-60 = 8 pts
60+ = 10 pts

Total amount of points you can have is 55.  For admission last fall the lowest number accepted was 43 pts.  I think they accept 50 applicants each semester but we're getting a new science building so rumor has it they will start accepting 200-250 applicants each semester. 

by on Jan. 6, 2009 at 10:32 PM

i am currently in the ADN and its based on pre-req grades and then your TEAS exam score.

toddler boy
Chris & Tiffany          Aiden James         Diesel

by New Member on Jan. 7, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Point system as well. If you dont make it in, they put you on a waiting list..and that can last anytime from the following semester to 2 years! They suggest while waiting you go back and re-take the courses you didn't do the best on, get a better grade and your points will go up and then you have a better chance.  It is 2 year RN program.

Pre-reqs are:

Entrance test on Math, Eng, and Reading. That determines if you need to take any HS level courses. And if you do, you have to attend a Orientation class.

Eng 101 & 102

BIO 131& 132 (A&P 1 & 2)

BIO 140 (micro)

Intro to Psych and Personality

When you are about 95% done these, then you are invited to Nursing 106, which is the pre-nursing course. Then when you successfully pass everything, you can apply to the nursing program.

*For every road block you put in my way, I'll crash through it. For every tear you cause to fall from my eye, I'll wipe it away. For everytime you put my head down, I'll put it right back up, and I'll smile because you only make me stronger*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)