Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stuff to look out for!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:20 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 579 Total Views

Currently I am working on my BSN while waiting to get into the nursing program at my college.  My First Aid and Safety proffessor was a nurse for 30 years and she has seen it all.  One of the things she has told us was that when you give the first 2 rescue breathes in CPR to roll the patient on their side because they will throw up.  She told us she learned that the hard way!! I have never worked in the medical feild and I know some of you have as CNA's and such.  I was wondering if you guys had any more helpful info that we all should look out for in any situation.  I know I would like to know ahead of time what to look out for!

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redneck_mama06
by Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:18 AM

depends on if your working with geriatrics. Don't let them touch your hair or you for that matter. Some don't mind scratching when they are dirty. Some also like to throw their depends at you. just a few things I picked up in the nursing home. have not encountered too much of that in the hospital.

Proud Mama to Sammy
Southerncharmes
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Too many "What to look out for" situations. Besides since you mentioned CPR...within the first 5 compressions if you are doing it right, you should hear a "crunching" noise...ribs breaking.

So, some advice: Don't wear your stethoscope around your neck (yes, I know...students think they look cool) long term it will cause major neck problems.

I wish you the very best pursuing your degree! You'll do great.

hardmyth
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 4:52 PM

What?  Why would breaking ribs mean you are doing it right?  If you are breaking ribs, you are doing it WRONG.

Quoting Southerncharmes:

Too many "What to look out for" situations. Besides since you mentioned CPR...within the first 5 compressions if you are doing it right, you should hear a "crunching" noise...ribs breaking.

So, some advice: Don't wear your stethoscope around your neck (yes, I know...students think they look cool) long term it will cause major neck problems.

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics babies
midnightmoma
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Breaking a rib is very likely and common but does not mean it is done right or wrong, you do need the force behind he compressions to pump blood and help the heart beat again on its own and yes sometimes that will break a rib, about 40% of CPR done on cardiac patients do result in a broken rib, look it up. The older the patient the more likely this will happen.

As for throwing up if you give mouth to mouth, I have not seen this UNLESS the person blows to hard and the air goes into the stiomach and not the lungs.

dxeoutlaw2
by New Member on Feb. 16, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I have heard the same thing from doctors and nurses!

Quoting hardmyth:

What?  Why would breaking ribs mean you are doing it right?  If you are breaking ribs, you are doing it WRONG.

Quoting Southerncharmes:

Check out the wonderful products that Home & Garden Party offers!
http://www.homeandgardenparty.com/home?webid=lauragordon
Southerncharmes
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Maybe what I should have said is....if you hear "crunching" it's ribs breaking...your not doing it wrong...it's the pressure you have to exert to get the cardiac output you need with compressions...it does not mean your doing it WRONG, it's very common. I guess I should have stated it better. Have a great night.

vidavida
by Member on Feb. 17, 2009 at 10:47 AM
We were actually taught this in school - the breaking ribs doesn't mean you are wrong, it is the amt of pressure you need. Now, whether it's worth breaking a bunch of ribs on the person is a different story.. ie if they're really old, really sick, not responding to any efforts, IE it's going to increase their risk of death etc.
Karen490
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 12:52 AM

A patient who is in full arrest will likely vomit, but not always right away.  Just always be on the look out for it and have your suction ready.

Something else I've picked up was to always have an escape route.  For routine patients this may not be a big deal, but when dealing with psych patients it can save your life.  Never allow yourself to be cornered in a room w/o a way of getting out. 

dxeoutlaw2
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 7:15 AM

Remember that if you work in a prison also. Never allow the pt between you and the door.

Quoting Karen490:

A patient who is in full arrest will likely vomit, but not always right away.  Just always be on the look out for it and have your suction ready.

Something else I've picked up was to always have an escape route.  For routine patients this may not be a big deal, but when dealing with psych patients it can save your life.  Never allow yourself to be cornered in a room w/o a way of getting out. 

Check out the wonderful products that Home & Garden Party offers!
http://www.homeandgardenparty.com/home?webid=lauragordon
super_mommy4
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Quoting hardmyth:

Quoting Southerncharmes:

The truth about the elderly is that their collogen between their ribs have hardened due to a decrease in hydration and old age, so you are not really breaking ribs, your cracking that collogen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)