Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sorry if this question has been asked already but

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:55 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 223 Total Views

Ok so what is the difference between an LN, CNA, andRN? I know what the abbreviations mean, but what are the job requirements?The reason I'm asking is because there is a program at my school to become a CNA, but my mother said I would hate that job. [she worked as a CNA and hated it] but I think it depends on what you find interesting as far as jobs. I dont know. I really don't want to be in school for ever and miss out on what I could have been doing. Am I making any sense?? Would it be beneficiary to just continue with becoming an RN? I am so confused I just need help

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
BttrMom0407
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I was a CNA for 4+ years before becoming a SAHM. I worked in nursing homes and took care of the elderly, most with dementia. I did like the job, it was very hard work though but the pay sucks! In the time I was a CNA the range was only $8-$10 ($10 if you're lucky to find a place that pays that much. But this was over 5 years ago, so the pay maybe has gone up a little bit and it depends where you live too. IMO, if you want more pay, more responsibility, more respect...stick with going for your RN. Good luck.

Willsmom65
by Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:16 PM

A CNA is a certified nurse assistant. They do basic care on the patient such as bathing, changing, grooming, etc. You can complete CNA training in about 100 hours. A licensed nurse (LPN in TN) Takes about a year to complete and you are responsible for supervising CNA staff, patient care (assessing, treatments, notifying drs and medication, etc). A RN does the same as a LPN, depending where you work. Some pass medications. You do assessments, notify drs, etc. It can take anywhere from 2 yrs (Associate degree) to 4 yrs (bachelors degree). Of course RNs make the most money. In the long run, you are better off going for RN IMO. There is more money and more opportunity for advancement.

Charweba
by Member on Mar. 10, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Thank you guys so much for helping me clear that up. I know what I'm going to continue in now. Thanks again!

gaalar
by New Member on Mar. 10, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I am in RN (registered nurse) school but I have to be CNA (certified nursing assistant) to be involved in the program.  You are not supposed to be going on clinicals here if you don't have a CNA.  I just got a job as a CNA as well.  It is hard work but I will be making money while in school and I can have a flexiable schedule.  It will also give me some good experience.  

GloriaI
by Member on Mar. 12, 2009 at 12:44 AM

I really think it depends on a person's desires to work towards becoming an RN.  It's very hard work and you have to want it and be motivated in becoming one.  It also takes a lot of time, and dedication,  you have to understand that you won't have a life fwhile in the program (ADN).   My friend is in the program now and is graduating in May, she started with a class of 20 and now has about 12 students graduating.  It's not a joke.  She always tells me to be prepared, know this is what you want, because once you're in there is no turning back and you have to really work hard because there is no screwing up.  She had a girl who was less than point away from a C and they dropped her from the program.  She said somedays you might want to give up and cry, but once you complete the program it's very rewarding. 

There are so many things you can do in the medical field.  I personally rather become a medical assistance or patient care tech than CNA, they get paid about the same, but do different jobs and easier.  There is LPN and RN, if u dont want to go to school for a long time you can always do LPN and work your way up to become an RN when you are ready. 

Medical assistant- 9 month program. salary 24k-33k.

CNA-it's a certificate program and it's about 3 months long.  You might need your highschool diploma to get hired depending on the company.  Salary range is from 19k - 30k

LPN-a diploma program depending what state you're in it about 15-18 months long.  Salary range is from 32-46k

RN-ADN 2 year program not including your core class if you need them, BSN 4-5 years.  Salary range 50-72k

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)