Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chemistry

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 4:38 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 286 Total Views

So don't laugh at me.... If I am not an expert at Chemistry, will it hurt me as an RN?  My last 3 classes to take are A&P I and II, and Mircrobiology. I am trying my damnest to get through this class and it is rough....I am wondering if I barely pass will it hurt me in my other classes?

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Poppycorn95
by New Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:45 PM

good luck!  no idea on if it'll hurt you.  I got to choose chemistry or advanced phisiology...I'm seriously considering the advanced.

vidavida
by Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:08 AM
Well, I don't need a chem course for my degree, so I am hoping it doesn't! I hate chemistry, did it once in 11th grade, and that's it. I am very certain that everything you need to know to perform your job well you will learn elsewhere. Good luck - once you're through it, you're done!

mrsstew
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I have the same classes to take as you!  Im still struggling w/Algebra...how are slopes & points of slopes going to help! Im sure chemistry will have something to do w/meds, altho we will eventually take pharmocology, which will be totally different, we will just know the "basics" I guess!

Good Luck!!

yolanda7599
by Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 7:42 PM

The only time Chemistry will play a "big"part is with Pharmocology. Not alot, but it will be helpful in Pharmacokinetics (how the body handles medications). I got a C in my chem. course and it really didnt hurt me.

GloriaI
by Member on Mar. 12, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Quoting mrsstew:

I have the same classes to take as you!  Im still struggling w/Algebra...how are slopes & points of slopes going to help! Im sure chemistry will have something to do w/meds, altho we will eventually take pharmocology, which will be totally different, we will just know the "basics" I guess!

Good Luck!!

Lol, I just finish my exam on graphing in algebra.  I had a rough time understanding it at first, but after practicing it, it wasn't hard at all.  I can't wait to see my grade on Monday or whenever she decides to post it!! 

I'm also taking chemistry to apply for the nursing program.  The good thing about our nursing program is that it doesn't count as points to get in.  You just need it to apply so it doesn't matter what grade you get as long as you pass with a C. However, i would want an A, because I aiming for a 4.0 GPA so that I can apply for nursing scholarships and have a greater chance of getting one.  Well as of right now, I have all A's in my class hopefully it stays like that.  My friend is about the graduate from the nursing program here and she said that you really need to understand doing formulas because there are some formulas that you need for medication and know how to convert them from mL to L or g whatever, but something like that.  Here is a very helpful website for chemistry http://wps.prenhall.com/esm_burns_chemistry_4/6/1757/449970.cw/index.html 

angelofhope
by Member on Mar. 12, 2009 at 7:34 PM

It all depends on what your struggling with in Chem. I am in the RN program now. You really do need to know how to convert between the metric system and apothecary( including household measurements). You also need to be able to do problems with ratio and proportions. It is vitally important to know how to do these things in order to keep up in nursing school. All the schools in Louisiana require at least a 90 or above on dosage exams in order to progress; medication errors are a very big deal and most schools take it very seriously. If these are things you are struggling with you should probably find someone to help you learn them. You CAN do it if you put your mind to it. GOOD LUCK!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)