Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OB/PEDs starts the 18th....

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:16 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 3091 Total Views

Hey ladies,

Just want some info from the ones that have aleady completed OB/PEDs... So how was it, what was your best/worst part?  I am doing mine this summer, I am not looking forward to the time crunch because it is a 9 week semester minus the week off for july 4th. I do know it is 10 tests in that 9 week period. Lots of reading, and long days...My class day is monday from 9 to 4:30, clinicals on tuesday for 9 hours and clinicals on wed. for 6 hours. Any info would be great..

Thanks,

Stephanie

by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MomNADNstudent
by Member on May. 11, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I've already had OB, and think going through pregnancy myself helps.  I felt that normal antepartum, intrapartum, and postpartum was basic knowledge.  I remember a guy in my class saying, there was a lot of information for normal maternity.  I didn't think so.  There was a lot for high risk, although sad I thought it was interesting.  Maternity rotation itself was very easy going for us.  I really enjoyed it, but it's the field I want to get into.  You'll do fine, I'm sure!

midnightmoma
by on May. 11, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Thanks for reply, I am not worried about it..I have been waiting for this semester just wasnt looking forward to the time line LOL.. I have had three children myself, so yeah I am very familiar with the process. Just looking for general info, like the wost part, the best etc... Thanks again

Quoting MomNADNstudent:

I've already had OB, and think going through pregnancy myself helps.  I felt that normal antepartum, intrapartum, and postpartum was basic knowledge.  I remember a guy in my class saying, there was a lot of information for normal maternity.  I didn't think so.  There was a lot for high risk, although sad I thought it was interesting.  Maternity rotation itself was very easy going for us.  I really enjoyed it, but it's the field I want to get into.  You'll do fine, I'm sure!

MomNADNstudent
by Member on May. 11, 2009 at 10:28 PM

I thought the best thing about Maternity clinical was when I got to teach my patient, even if only a little bit.  The moms might ask you how often they should feed their babies, why their milk hasn't come in yet, ect.  We did mom and baby assessments as well.  It's great to have that confidence for once in nursing school clinicals.  LoL.  I can't really say anything was the worst.  There is a helpful acroynm out there for fetal heart rate decelerations during contractions.

Veal Chop (Variable Early Accelerations Late -> Cord Head Ok Placenta). 

The letter V in veal corresponds to the C in chop.  So V for variable deccelerations equals C for cord compression.  E is for early deccelerations, H is for head being compressed.  The head being compressed during contractions is normal during labor, so early deccelerations is nothing to worry about.  A is for accelerations in fetal heart rate, which is O for ok.  L is for late, P for placenta insufficiency.

midnightmoma
by on May. 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Thanks for the info...now thats what I am talking about LOL, you rock...

Again thank you

stephanie

Rossay
by Member on May. 17, 2009 at 12:40 AM

I like that VEAL CHOP wish I would have found out at the beginning of OB but I will make note for the future (taking OB final monday).

alyssasmom11007
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:52 AM

I don't know about anyone else, but the high risk Peds was the hardest for me.  I am going for my LPN in a small satelite course.  We had to read like 10-30 pages out of 25 chapters for that topic.  We were lucky that our clinical instructor got us into a Peds doctor that week.  I loved the high risk OB, but I am high risk and had been through 3/4 of what was taught.  Just do your best and stress about it.  I think this is one topic that comes natural to most people.

redneck_mama06
by Member on May. 24, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I just finished my peds rotation and I thought theory was very easy it was clinical that was hardest for me. I also ended up taking my own son into the hospital just two weeks into the rotation and spent a week there with him with ruptured appendix. I just didn't like to see sick children it was hard enough with my own.

As for OB I did that my second semester and actually enjoyed it ( I am also looking into working in L&D). I think I watched 3-4 C-sections and 2 natural births. I also enjoyed working in the nursery and being able to help feed those that were not rooming in with their mothers. With three kids of your own you should do just fine.

Good Luck.

Proud Mama to Sammy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)