Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pharmacology is kicking my butt

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:14 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 257 Total Views

Hi everyone!  I am new to the group.  I am not yet in a nursing program but doing what I can until I do get in.    Anyway, I am taking Pharmacology and it is miserable.  I know it is a challenging class under normal circumstances, but I am studying and working on assignments from the time my kids go to bed at 8 pm until midnight or 1 or 2 every night.  Then through out the day.  As much as I can without ignoring my kids.  I do an assignment then play hide and seek for half an hour.  I am studying like a maniac, but having so much trouble.  The assignments and so far our first 3 tests are so confusing.  I know the information, but half the time the tests and assignments are so poorly constructed that you have no idea what you are supposed to do.  I wish I could show an example of what I am talking about.  This is the teachers first year ever teaching, and it is an online class.  She is slow to reply to e mails, and seems to take offense when an of us show confusion about what exactly we are supposed to be doing.  I am really getting frustrated and trying to figure out how I am going to make it through this class.  I am putting in the time and effort and I am learning the material.  I am going to fail though because of the poor structure.  Should I speak to my counselor?  What would you do?  Thanks! 

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
funmommy2
by New Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Hey there! I know exactly what you're going through! My pharmacology class is the same way.  Just when I think everything is done I find a whole page of more hidden assignments lol. It is tough. I am also taking the first nursing course and it is laid out the same way.  It's all so confusing and I'm scared that I am going to fail because I can't keep up. 

You definitely have the right to have some time from your teacher and too express how you feel about the whole layout of everything. It is the teacher's job to help you succeed.  And if you can't speak to the teacher I would definitely go to a counselor at the school and talk to them.  I am going to go talk to somebody as well.  Good luck!!!!

good luck

bethiesmama
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, somethings got to give.  I have already posted questions on the discussion board only to find out that many other students had no idea what was going on either.  And I have e mailed the instructor already to tell her "I know this assignment is due, but I have absolutely no idea what it is asking me to do.  I couldn't even guess.  Please clarify this assignment for me."  Haven't heard back.  Think its time to talk to my counselor.  Good luck with your class!

SusanD
by Member on Sep. 8, 2009 at 8:20 PM

I'm assuming that you are going to CTC, correct? If so, I know exactly who you are referring to and its actually NOT her first semester teaching pharm, its just an absurd course online. On average they only have a very small percentage of that course pass. Most people who take it either drop and retake the next semester OR they fail and take the next semester. Both situations, they take the course in the classroom the next try.

Just a bit of knowledge for you....if you think that you MIGHT fail the course, I would suggest dropping it because even though its not required that you be in the nursing program to take it, IF you fail the course it counts as one of your 3 allowed failures for the program over all.  If you withdraw, it doesn't count against you. This is the advise that was given to the student in the traditional setting pharm course.

Oh I just wanted to add, if its the same person that I am fairly certain that it is...she was the online instructor for some of the intro to nursing courses. She does take an offensive position when you bring anything up or ask questions.

bethiesmama
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Yes, I go to CTC.  Is there more than one lady teaching it?  Our instructor told us this was her first teaching assignment.  Unless she meant something else, like this is her first time teaching this exact subject.  Entirely possible since I have trouble understanding everything in her class.  I did drop the class and the counselor told me they have had a lot of people drop it in the past week actually.  I think it would be better for me to take this class on campus where I can see the teacher and meet other students.  Although there is a discussion board I find it easier to talk to people face to face.  There was a different class that I need starting on the 28th and should be a better choice for me right now.  So I so relieved to be out of the class now!  Do you go to CTC too? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)